- Oakland, CA
Dictionary.com is looking for a motivated, organized and experienced editor to manage our team of freelance writers and facilitate editorial production. The Managing Editor will have the knowledge of an experienced writer and an editor with a focus on managing publishing workflows and optimizing for success. This role will report directly to the Senior Manager of Marketing and Content Strategy and will manage a team of writers to produce editorial content that allows for rapid traffic growth. The ideal candidate will be comfortable editing content, running editorial meetings, driving forward aggressive publishing timelines, and managing editorial workflows, including writer communications and invoicing.
Core Job Responsibilities:
● Recruit and manage team of editorial contributors, including assignments and deadlines
● Ensure tone and style are consistent and engaging across editorial content
● Lead editorial meetings and ensure content production is on track to meet business needs
● Work cross functionally to foster collaboration with other teams (Marketing, Product, etc.)
● Own and maintain an editorial publishing calendar that organizes written editorial & video content
● Come up with story ideas and foster the worthwhile ideas of colleagues and contributors
● Communicate brand and project goals, deadlines, and other information to contributors and internal stakeholders to ensure that deadlines and objectives are met
● Own and manage our CMS, including understanding its functionality and troubleshooting and prioritizing fixes and updates
● Work with Marketing team to refine editorial execution according to audience data
● Research and stay ahead of future relevant topics and media types
● 3+ years in an editorial leadership position, including experience managing freelance writers
● Bachelor's degree in journalism or relevant field
● Ability to evaluate and offer constructive feedback on editorial content quickly and clearly
● Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment and thrive under the pressure of daily deadlines
● Demonstrated experience with WordPress or comparable CMS
● Experience facilitating invoicing, HR, and legal services for freelance writers
● Passion for words and language
As the world’s leading digital English dictionary and thesaurus, Dictionary.com helps more than 70 million monthly users attain language success. As the most innovative and technologically advanced dictionary, we are committed to accelerating the discovery and mastery of the English language in all its forms. Our leading mobile applications have been downloaded more than 100 million times – and we are just getting started. We are hard at work reinventing the dictionary as a platform that will enable and inspire social connection, communication, learning, creativity and expression in the connected world.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We offer competitive salaries, plus amazing benefits and perks like unlimited vacation, commuter subsidy, 401(K) matching, free snacks, and a gourmet coffee bar.