Sr. Business Intelligence Engineer
- Oakland, CA
About Ask Media Group
Home to the iconic Ask.com website and headquartered in Oakland’s thriving downtown, Ask Media Group is a collection of websites that help curious people find the information they need. Our growing portfolio of websites helps our users discover everything from bathrobes to tax forms, and we thrive on the challenge of developing a wide variety of sites that address everyday questions, no matter how large or small. Our team knows how to not only create but profitably grow digital properties to meaningful scale, touching the lives of millions of people each day. Ask Media Group is owned and operated by IAC (NASDAQ: IAC) and is a part of IAC Publishing, IAC’s collection of premium content brands.
Our key capabilities include:
- Multi-channel audience acquisition and monetization expertise.
- A rapid release application platform allowing us to develop and test a variety of new products.
- Deep data management, analytics, and machine learning expertise to drive engaging media experiences.
- 24x7 operations services with experience supporting multiple, international domains at scale.
As the engineering lead on the Business Intelligence team, you’ll not only get to work with a large amount of data but also leading edge big data/cloud computing technologies. In this role, you’ll have an opportunity to make immediate impact to the bottom line for the company and also to help set the technical direction of the product.
You are a veteran data warehouse engineer that is not afraid of dealing with a large amount of data and is curious about big data systems. You are a thoughtful problem solver, with informed and defensible positions, who is always learning. You’ll not be afraid of jumping in and taking care of production issues if they arise.
In this role, you will own the back end operations of our enterprise data warehouse. Learn more about Business Intelligence at Ask Media Group here: http://askmediagroup.com/business-intelligence-at-ask/
Daily activities include:
- Monitoring daily production loads and responding to failures
- Lead requirements gathering and data modeling of new data integrations
- Ensure we meet our data products SLAs
- Monitor storage and compute costs of the data warehouse
- Manage a small offshore engineering team
- Passion for high performance, scalability, and efficiency
- Ability to quickly and thoroughly learn and utilize new technologies
- Solid understanding of data warehouse architecture best practices, particularly for columnstore databases
- Proven ability to conceptualize, architect, design, develop, and deploy solutions in the BI space
- Define standards, guidelines, and best practices and ensure overall integration, compatibility and effectiveness of systems
- Ability to write clean, well-tested, maintainable code in SQL and Python
- Experience working with APIs
.Nice to haves
- Experience with containers/Docker
- Experience with Openshift and Gitlab
- Experience with Looker
- Linux knowledge and experience with shell
- Experience with Alteryx
- Experience with Jenkins
- Experience with cloud based data warehouse technologies like Redshift and Snowflake
- Experience with the AWS ecosystem, specifically S3, DMS, and RDS