Software Engineer, Developer Tools - Contract
- Oakland, CA
About Ask Media Group
Home to the iconic Ask.com website and headquartered in Oakland’s thriving downtown, Ask Media Group is a collection of websites that help curious people find the information they need. Our growing portfolio of websites helps our users discover everything from bathrobes to tax forms, and we thrive on the challenge of developing a wide variety of sites that address everyday questions, no matter how large or small. Our team knows how to not only create but profitably grow digital properties to meaningful scale, touching the lives of millions of people each day. Ask Media Group is owned and operated by IAC (NASDAQ: IAC) and is a part of IAC Publishing, IAC’s collection of premium content brands.
Our key capabilities include:
- Multi-channel audience acquisition and monetization expertise.
- A rapid release application platform allowing us to develop and test a variety of new products.
- Deep data management, analytics, and machine learning expertise to drive engaging media experiences.
- 24x7 operations services with experience supporting multiple, international domains at scale.
What we can offer you
We are looking for a Contract Software Engineer to join the Tools Engineering team. We partner with application developer teams to help them achieve incredible velocity without sacrificing quality or stability. We have deep experience in testing best practices, automation,Develop test frameworks, performance testing, and devops, which we leverage to help application developer teams release higher quality software more often. We are helping solve the challenges associated with releasing quality software at scale in the cloud. We also build and maintain our own tools to support developer productivity: CI/CD workflows, reporting, application dashboards, load testing, and more. Finally, we help teams think-through and document their test strategies, ensuring that the relevant options and trade-offs are considered to achieve the team’s goals. You’d would be working with multiple teams in a culture that values collaborative, pragmatic solutions.
What you get to do
- Obsess over developer productivity, software quality, and performance across the entire engineering org
- Collaborate deeply with teams to develop and implement test strategies that achieve the team’s goals and encourage best practices
- Design and build tools that measure or improve application/team velocity and quality
- Work with a technology stack that includes Node.js, Java, Python, OpenShift/Kubernetes/Docker, GitLab, AWS, and more
- Advance Ask Media Group's technical culture through presentations, meetups, conferences etc.
- Work closely with developers to understand their needs and explore technology trade-offs
- Participate in architectural strategies, from PoC to proposal to implementation
- Learn and practice devops from the development and tooling perspective
What you bring to us
You have 2 years of work experience as a software engineer with a passion for developer productivity. You value efficient processes and a culture that encourages freedom and responsibility. You thrive in a highly collaborative environment and enjoy solving problems as a team. You are a thoughtful problem solver, with informed and defensible positions, who is always learning. You are looking for an opportunity to make a significant contribution and grow in your career.
- Passion for productivity, and developer processes that foster continuous improvement
- Deep knowledge and experience with test oriented development (TDD, BDD, etc), and the trade offs associated with unit, functional, integration tests
- Ability to quickly and thoroughly learn and utilize new technologies
- Understanding of software architecture best practices, particularly for web application development
- Solid CS fundamentals in Algorithms, Data Structures, Operating Systems, Networking, etc.
- Ability to provide and receive critical feedback in a positive and thoughtful manner
- Ability to write clean, well-tested, maintainable code
- Security sensitive mindset and understanding of common attack vectors
- Linux knowledge and experience with shell scripting a plus
- Experience with Docker and a container platform such as Kubernetes a plus
- A track record of open-source contributions is a plus
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.