Senior Accountant SOX Compliance
- Oakland, CA
Headquartered in Oakland's vibrant tech scene, Ask Media Group is an IAC operating company focused on building unique digital experiences in a variety of categories including search, ecommerce, and digital content. Across Ask Media Group we reached 100 million unique users per month across the globe.
We have a very entrepreneurial, fast-paced, environment, which undergoes continuous change due to the dynamic nature of the business. We support several companies within Ask Media Group: Ask.com, About.com, Dictionary.com, Investopedia, and The Daily Beast. The environment is highly creative and business minded. We not only enjoy what we do but the team with whom we work.
We are looking for a Finance professional to join our team. The position will require the individual to assume a lead role within the Finance Group on management of SOX and audit related tasks. This will include facilitating PBC requests for internal and external auditors as well as research and resolution of critical financial control issues. The individual will work across business lines to annually update documented processes and controls (both financial and operational) with financial impact to the organization.
This position is also responsible for performing month-end close procedures as assigned, which may include, but is not limited to preparing and processing prepaid entries, accruals and deferred rent schedules.
The individual will ensure that all activity in assigned accounts is appropriately documented, is recorded timely and accurately and is presented in accordance with GAAP in our financial statements. The individual will be required to prepare reconciliations for assigned accounts timely, and in compliance with company documentation standards.
In addition, the individual will be required to prepare assigned quarterly reporting packages for corporate headquarters in a timely manner with a high level of accuracy and with supporting schedules prepared in compliance with company documentation standards.
- Professionalism and solutions oriented
- Driven towards superior effort and performance
- Works effectively as a team member in a collaborative environment
- Ability to self motivate, function independently, and at times be flexible to work extended hours for closes periods and special projects
- Manage coordination with external auditors and internal audit team for quarterly, interim, SOX, internal and year end audit testing.
- Gather requested audit information from appropriate sources, review submitted information to ensure it is of appropriate quality, track status of audit requests to ensure timely completion.
- Identify opportunities for process improvements or automation.
- Identify process and control deficiencies and propose options for corrective action, to satisfy regulatory internal control requirements (i.e. SOX 404).
- Collaborate with business partners to effectively deploy new operating processes and controls.
Perform quarterly access reviews to key accounting networks and Oracle financial system.
- Update internal controls and narratives as processes change.
- Provide timely updates to Accounting Management and Internal Audit of significant process change proposals and ensure Internal Audit is included in the approval process when controls change significantly.
- Participate on project teams to ensure new projects, programs, and initiatives are being developed with a focus on process and controls, to minimize financial and operational risk to the organization.
- Prepare entries related to assigned accounts per the monthly close checklist.
- Reconcile, analyze, and resolve questions regarding assigned accounts timely and accurately.
- Responsible for preparation of explanations for variances on quarterly flux analysis for assigned accounts.
- Big picture understanding and analysis of general ledger activity.
- Assist with tax and other ad-hoc reporting and analysis requests from our business units.
- Support management in completing special projects and other tasks as assigned.
- BA or BS with an Accounting, business emphasis
- 4 plus years of accounting experience in a public company, Big 4, or any combination of the two preferred
- Oracle Financials experience
- Strong operational, organizational and analytical skills
- Comfortable with change, can act as a change agent
- Detail oriented and well organized
- Ability to effectively prioritize multiple projects to meet deadlines and produce high quality work in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work independently and take ownership of projects
- Strong communicator with ability to maintain open communication with internal employees, managers and customers as needed
- Able to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner
- Experience with Sarbanes Oxley compliance required
- Project Management experience
- Financial and operational audit experience; knowledge of appropriate controls on SOX context, including IT General Controls
- Solid knowledge of all accounting principles
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to quickly assimilate information and grasp concepts
- Strong organizational skills with ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Able to exercise effective influencing skills
- Capable of working at the minute detail level and/or a broad, strategic level, as the situation requires
- Strong relationship management skills required
We are an equal opportunity employer.