Sr. Software Engineer, SEM (Contract)
- Oakland, CA
About Ask Media Group
Home to the iconic Ask.com website and headquartered in Oakland’s thriving downtown, Ask Media Group is a collection of websites that help curious people find the information they need. Our growing portfolio of websites helps our users discover everything from bathrobes to tax forms, and we thrive on the challenge of developing a wide variety of sites that address everyday questions, no matter how large or small. Our team knows how to not only create but profitably grow digital properties to meaningful scale, touching the lives of millions of people each day. Ask Media Group is owned and operated by IAC (NASDAQ: IAC) and is a part of IAC Publishing, IAC’s collection of premium content brands.
What We Can Offer you
- The ideal candidate will have experience demonstrating technical leadership and a proven track record of developing and shipping on-time for mission-critical, revenue generating applications.
- The ideal candidate will also have demonstrated good technology instinct, great communication skills, and an excellent ability to negotiate priorities and resources on multiple, parallel initiatives.
- SEM (search engine marketing) operates at very large scale and on mission-critical workloads, so a passion and discipline around operational excellence is vital.
- The person in this role will collaborate closely with the SEM business team on requirements, and must have a strong customer service ethic, ensuring no surprises to the business.
What You Get to Do
This role will integrate partner APIs, automate data processing pipelines, architect a sophisticated automated bidding system, as well as other back-end projects that drive much of Ask Media Group's revenue. Responsibilities include leading specification, design and code reviews, quality assurance and delivery. The position reports to the Director of Software Engineering (SEM).
What You Bring to Us
The successful candidate will have fluency with engineering best practices and know SDLC (software development life cycle) deeply. We are looking for someone who can help the team build complex, scalable, and reliable systems, and has:
- 5+ years of Java use in mission-critical systems. Must know at least 6 design patterns, have used Spring and Quartz, and be fluent in an IDE such as Eclipse or IntelliJ.
- 3+ years of Python, both in production systems and rapidly solving adhoc problems
- 2+ years of MySQL or other relational database technology is required, including schema design and analyzing query plans
- NoSQL experience is a very big plus, such as Hadoop or Cassandra
- Experience with cloud technology such as AWS, OpenShift and Docker
- Experience with the AdWords API is a plus
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Experience with Scrum and Agile techniques
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent
Why Work With Us?
Ask Media Group offers competitive salaries, plus amazing benefits and perks. Unlimited vacation policy, Excellent Medical plans, 401(k) matching, Tuition Reimbursement, team building outings, celebrations, and food!
We are an equal opportunity employer.