Data Evaluation Manager
- Oakland, CA
What you get to do:
We are looking for a practical, data-driven leader for our Data Evaluation team. The Data Evaluation team has a big impact on the quality and efficacy of our data products, and excels at solving any problem where linguistic data analysis is a prerequisite. This role is a first line manager role, with the goal of managing, mentoring, and developing the members of the Data Evaluation team as well as helping drive the projects taken on by the team.
What we can offer you:
You will collaborate with a team of data scientists, engineers and product managers focused on building great data products. You and your team’s work will heavily impact product quality and efficacy. You’ll leverage the mountains of search and user interaction data that we acquire every day to analyze and model the performance of those data products, and you’ll grow as a leader and decision-maker within the business.
Activities that you’ll help drive include:
● Defining requirements and metrics for new data products
● Using our search data to translate product ideas into monetization strategies
● Rigorous performance analysis of new and existing data products
● Creating and curating training data to support machine learning
● Creating linguistic models that support search, classification, and question-answering
● Communicating performance insights across the organization
● The engineering and analytical efforts that support these activities
What you bring to us:
You are a practical, data-driven leader, and you own whatever project you take on. You are a data nerd that can collaborate to solve a problem, analyze the results, and then tell the story. You understand that your analysis happens in the context of a product, and can adapt to new opportunities as they arrive or as trade-offs change.
We’d also expect a successful candidate to have the following:
● A master’s degree in a quantitative field, or a bachelor’s plus experience
● Good problem solving ability with both technical and nontechnical tools
● The ability to ask the right questions
● Good linguistic intuition
● Experience working in a collaborative environment
● The ability to communicate and present complex, technical content to a variety of audiences
● Leadership experience either as a manager or project lead.
● Mentorship experience
● Experience promoting and developing best practices
● Experience with data science and/or analytics
● Strong experience with data science tools such as Python/Pandas, SQL, R
About IAC Publishing Labs
At IAC Publishing Labs, we have a passion for building fun and useful content sites that entertain and inform millions of people all over the world. As the labs division of IAC Publishing — one of the world’s largest digital publishers with a collective reach of 100 mm monthly US users — we support some of the biggest websites in the world, including dotdash.com (formerly About.com) & Dictionary.com. In addition to the work we do on our owned and operated portfolio of sites that include the leading Q&A site Ask.com, we are constantly experimenting in digital publishing and marketing. We are serious about fostering a company culture that is both innovative and fun, and we’re looking for great people to come join our team.
We are located in Downtown Oakland near 12th St. City Center BART but also easy to drive to as we’re right off the 880/980. We offer commuter or parking subsidy, unlimited vacation, tuition reimbursement, 401(k) matching, great medical benefits, fully stocked kitchens, Peets coffee and much more! (like pet and legal insurance, bagel tuesday, frozen yogurt selection available everyday, gym discount across the street at Club One, discounted lunch subsidy delivered to our office) Come join us to learn more!