VP of Finance (Interim)
- New York, NY
The Daily Beast delivers award-winning original reporting and sharp opinion from big personalities in the arenas of politics, pop-culture, world news and more. Fiercely independent and armed with irreverent intelligence, we now reach more than 20 million readers per month. The Daily Beast is based in New York and is an operating business of IAC.
As the interim VP of Finance, you will lead our finance team, oversee financial planning & analysis, work closely with business partners across all functions, and assist in corporate/business development work. This role reports to the General Manager. This role is an interim position covering for an employee out on leave. It will be for approximately 4-5 months.
What you get to do
• Oversee budgeting, forecasting and month close processes for all Daily Beast businesses
• Partner with accounting during month end close to ensure timely and accurate accruals and financial results.
• Lead the financial planning processes including monthly forecast updates with focus on revenue, operating expenses, headcount, and traffic/key metrics
• Coordinate key processes for financial and operational planning (monthly finance reviews, meetings with executive team members, etc.)
• Perform variance analyses to identify the drivers of variances to prior forecast, plan, and prior year
• Prepare and review performance reports with senior management each month
• Conduct data tracking and analyses to monitor financial and operational performance
• Identify trends and issues and address problems to ensure quality financial results
• Assist in corporate finance and business development work
• Perform quantitative analyses to help evaluate and implement strategic options
• Prepare presentations for senior management and board of directors
• Drive financial considerations in decision-making framework to improve business profitability and capital efficiency
• Participate in ad hoc projects as needed
What you bring to us
• MBA a plus; major in accounting or finance preferred
• 7+ years minimum experience, FP&A or related experience preferred
• Experience in internet advertising, internet search, e-commerce or related field preferred
• Experience with people management and development
• Excellent financial management and analytical skills with demonstrated understanding of financial modeling and analysis tools
• Experience providing decision support to senior management; comfortable running meetings and collaborating with executives
• Be driven by data and able to initiate in developing new measurements and metrics
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
• Ability to delve into the detail as well as take a higher-level view
• Ability to handle multiple priorities and projects while working as part of an inter-departmental team in a fast-paced environment
• Highly proficient in Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint and Word)
• Experience with Essbase preferred
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.