Freelancer, Editorial Content Contributor (Remote)
- Oakland, CA
Dictionary.com is a massive, growing, and profitable website with over 50 million unique users per month. Our customer base includes anyone who wants to feel smarter and communicate better—and more people visit Dictionary.com every year than go to the movies. Our family of free, advertising-supported sites, Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com, provide accurate and exhaustive definitions, synonyms, examples, pronunciations, translations, and more for millions of words.
We’re looking for writers with a love of language, culture, and where they intersect to contribute articles to Dictionary and Thesaurus.com. Have a lot to say about words? Good at finding the awe-inspiring, amusing, and/or applicable angles to topics (that might come out dry and boring in the hands of someone else)? We’d love to hear from you. You’ll be paid $110 for each piece accepted by our editors for publishing.
To get started, please assemble your:
- Cover letter and resume (required)
- Portfolio or recent writing samples (optional)
- Brief writing exercise (required):
Pitch five titles for articles (in whatever form—essay, slideshow, quiz, etc.) that you think should live on Dictionary and Thesaurus editorial pages
Write one (300-500 word) article using one of your titles. Keep in mind:
1. You (Dictionary) are a friend that I (the reader) have known for as long as I can remember. You’re always there for me in a pinch. If there’s a new trend, you’re the first to tell me about it. And if a party starts to get boring, I know you’ll have an interesting story to tell.
2. Including supportive images and sources (we prefer linking to other Dictionary.com pages) is welcomed.
When ready, submit them via email to apply.editorial(at)dictionary.com. Thanks!
(Please note: if you click "apply" or "i'm interested" via the system, your resume will NOT be viewed. You MUST apply with the above instructions via the e-mail address please)
This remote position is open to applicants who reside in the US only. We’re hiring for multiple positions on a rolling basis.
We are an equal opportunity employer.