Senior Correspondent - National Security
- Washington, DC
The Daily Beast delivers award-winning original reporting and sharp opinion from big personalities in the arenas of politics, pop-culture, world news and more. Fiercely independent and armed with irreverent intelligence, The Daily Beast now reaches more than 20 million readers per month. The Daily Beast is based in New York and is an operating business of IAC (NASDAQ: IAC).
The Senior Correspondent, is expected to research, report and write exclusive stories for The Daily Beast on military affairs, national security, intelligence, terrorism and more. Must have a proven ability to conceive, develop and produce stories that can impact the public dialog and set the news agenda for these coverage areas. Must also have demonstrated skills to write long-form stories that weave interviews, profile material, anecdotes and exclusive details into compelling narratives and to effectively communicate those stories across TV, radio, the web and social media.
- Use sources, documents and other journalistic tools to develop, report, and write exclusive stories and projects about national security, military affairs, intelligence, terrorism and more.
- Truth-watch political, government, and corporate leaders on the issues of national security, including military, intelligence, diplomacy and terrorism, and to spot emerging trends and counter-intuitive narratives to the official stories of Washington.
- Conceive compelling story and project ideas to discuss with supervisor.
- Research and write stories.
- Work with other reporters, communications, outreach, and web team to maximize impact and reach of the story or project.
- Help edit, guide, mentor, and collaborate with other members of The Daily Beast staff.
Expectations of the role are:
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, juggling multiple projects and deadlines.
- Willingness to collaborate with other reporters, editors, and media partners.
- Strong research, writing, and reporting skills.
- Advanced problem-solving skills.
- Proven skill as a narrative writer and story teller.
- Commitment and ability to continue to develop sources.
- Knowledge of and experience with social media, radio, television and the web.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the capacity to work well with a diverse group of individuals.
- A self-starter who can conceive and execute stories with impact.
- Ability to take initiative, receive constructive feedback, and work with minimal supervision.
- At least five years of national security reporting experience.
- Some travel involved.
We are an equal opportunity employer.