Data Science Manager
- Oakland, CA
IAC Publishing brings together a collection of the web’s most trusted brands to create one of the largest digital publishers in the world, reaching more than 100 million US users a month. With distinct and influential voices, our media brands touch millions of discerning adults and actively engaged millennials, each one offering advertisers a variety of unique and creative ways to make a lasting impression.
We are looking for a manager for IAC Publishing Lab’s data science team. The data science team leverages techniques from natural language processing and data science to help drive breakthroughs in performance marketing and support the creation of engaging search and content experiences. As a leader in our technology organization, you will collaborate across the organization within a culture that values pragmatic solutions.
What you will do
- Manage a team of PhD level data scientists, providing feedback and mentorship to the team
- Collaborate with the performance marketing, business intelligence, and data teams to drive solutions
- Be an authority within the organization on data science, NLP and machine learning
- Participate in defining strategic direction for the data science team
- Work with python, sklearn and big data technologies such as hadoop and spark
- Help ensure that we follow best practice in both data science and engineering
- Plan and drive data products to their completion, communicating results to leadership
What you bring to us
You are an experienced, pragmatic data science practitioner and leader. You enjoy collaborating to find the best solution, regardless of ownership. You provide day-to-day leadership for the data science team, inspiring the team with your creativity, positive attitude and focus on quality. You will have an important role building our data-driven culture, and provide key direction on how we build data products.
- Have strong foundational understanding of topics in data science and natural language processing
- Proven leadership experience by either driving projects or teams
- Ability to mentor and provide feedback in a positive and thoughtful manner
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Strong problem solver
- Ideal: Have a PhD or a master’s plus experience in a quantitative subject
Why Work for Us
We have some of the greatest benefits such as: unlimited vacation for salaried employees, medical/dental/vision options, pet insurance, 401(k) matching, commuter subsidy, tuition reimbursement, charity gift matching, huge discounts to wireless/gym/travel/much more. Our office has free snacks, catered lunch more often than not, monthly in-house massages, and themed monthly snack. More importantly – we know how hard you work so we celebrate that hard work often.