- 4321 Still Creek Dr, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
With 194,000 employees and operating in more than 170 countries and regions, Huawei is a leading global creator and provider of information and communications technology (ICT) infrastructure and smart devices. Integrated solutions span across four key domains – telecom networks, IT, smart devices, and cloud services. Huawei is committed to bringing digital to every person, home and organization for a fully connected, intelligent world.
About Huawei Canada
Huawei Canada focuses on fundamental research and development aimed at solving complex technical problems in emerging technologies like 5G, AI, Human Computer Interaction and Autonomous Driving. With ongoing research initiatives with 10 Universities across Canada and strategic collaboration agreements with several Universities, we support Canada’s rich research community. In 2020, Huawei Canada ranked among the Top 20 corporate R&D investors in the country with a huge 40% increase in R&D investment year over year. Huawei Canada was established in 2008 and now has a total workforce of 1,200 in our six research centers across Canada.
“Huawei will continue to be an important contributor to Canada’s knowledge-based economy,” “Openness and diversity are Canada’s great strengths. They help attract global talent and business. Huawei Canada’s R&D spending creates jobs, trains talents, supports fundamental research, and accelerates knowledge-to-impact in Canada. We are proud of all of that.”
Changtian Cai, President, Huawei Canada R&D.
Why work with Huawei Canada?
You will have the opportunity to work on real world problems that impact people across the globe. Many of our researchers are actively involved in publishing conference and journal papers, inventing patents and solving challenging technical problems. With cutting edge tools, access to highly specialized leaders and researchers, and significant funding, you will be well supported to fulfil your potential and pursue your professional dreams.
We are looking for researchers who are passionate about applying NLP/NLU techniques to real-world problems.
This role involves working closely with a diverse team of experienced researchers to design state-of-the-art AI algorithms with a focus on applications in Natural Language Processing, Operations Research, Human-in-the-loop systems, and related fields. The objective is to design and evaluate the developed algorithms specific target applications. There will be an opportunity to impact on important products and publish in prestigious AI venues at the same time."
- Research on fundamental theories of natural language processing and machine learning to build innovative applications.
- Create training datasets and/or evaluation datasets for target applications or benchmark suites.
- Build competitiveness of products by filing patents for intellectual properties
- Build demo application or proof of concepts with collaboration of engineers and product teams.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest research trends that could improve our products
- Publish and present research work at top NLP/ML conference venues.
- Obtained or in pursuit of Ph.D. or Master in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, and Mathematics specializing in Machine Learning, Computer Vision, NLP or similar fields.
- Deep understanding of machine learning and natural language processing models and techniques
- Demonstrated hands-on experience with deep learning / NLP framework such as Pytorch, Tensorflow, AllenNLP, HuggingFace transformers library, etc.
- 3+years of expertise in at least one area of NLP research (e.g. generation, semantic parsing, language modeling, information extraction, conversational AI and dialogue systems, computational linguistics, etc.)
- Published in one of the top ML/NLP conference venues (e.g. ACL, EMNLP, NAACL, ICLR, NeurIPS, CoLING, etc.)
- Skilled in at least one programming language.
- Ability to scope and schedule deliverables independently, and be accountable for performance and delivery.
- Energetic and self-motivated team player, with a passion to innovate and build best-in-class products.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral settings