Machine Learning Researcher (ANT)
- 7101 Av du Parc, Montréal, QC H3N 1X9, Canada
With 194,000 employees and operating in more than 170 countries and regions, Huawei is a leading global creator and provider of information and communications technology (ICT) infrastructure and smart devices. Integrated solutions span across four key domains – telecom networks, IT, smart devices, and cloud services. Huawei is committed to bringing digital to every person, home and organization for a fully connected, intelligent world.
About Huawei Canada
Huawei Canada focuses on fundamental research and development aimed at solving complex technical problems in emerging technologies like 5G, AI, Human Computer Interaction and Autonomous Driving. With ongoing research initiatives with 10 Universities across Canada and strategic collaboration agreements with several Universities, we support Canada’s rich research community. In 2020, Huawei Canada ranked among the Top 20 corporate R&D investors in the country with a huge 40% increase in R&D investment year over year. Huawei Canada was established in 2008 and now has a total workforce of 1,200 in our six research centers across Canada.
“Huawei will continue to be an important contributor to Canada’s knowledge-based economy,” “Openness and diversity are Canada’s great strengths. They help attract global talent and business. Huawei Canada’s R&D spending creates jobs, trains talents, supports fundamental research, and accelerates knowledge-to-impact in Canada. We are proud of all of that.”
Changtian Cai, President, Huawei Canada R&D.
Why work with Huawei Canada?
You will have the opportunity to work on real world problems that impact people across the globe. Many of our researchers are actively involved in publishing conference and journal papers, inventing patents and solving challenging technical problems. With cutting edge tools, access to highly specialized leaders and researchers, and significant funding, you will be well supported to fulfil your potential and pursue your professional dreams.
- Collaborate with our university professor partners and guide world-class product development teams to transfer ideas into solutions in the next generation of Huawei consumer products.
- Use deep understanding of machine learning and artificial intelligence to define and tackle meaningful technical problems.
- Participate in local and international AI/ML academic conferences.
- Prepare technical presentations that will be shared with team and academic collaborators
- Publish regularly in top international AI conferences such as NeurIPS, ICML, ICCV, ECCV, ICML, AAAI, etc.
- Define Huawei's next-generation consumer products by collaborating with other Huawei R&D teams in computer vision lab, speech and semantics lab, cloud distributed data.
- Grasp key technology requirements and tailor detailed research topics and plans.
- Fulfill technical requirements of product development and open-source development. Your research will be applied widely in the terminal field of consumer business, such as mobile and IoT devices, smart watch, and autonomous driving solution as well as Huawei open-source projects such as MindSpore. The featured result of the research will be presented to the world via the latest Huawei Product Launch Event.
- Hold a PhD in Applied Mathematics or Computer Science.
- Expert in numerical optimization with proven publication record in the field. Expertise in nonlinear or blackbox optimization is preferred.
- Familiar with deep learning, proven through publications in AI/ML conferences
- Good knowledge of Deep Learning (DL) components (training, regularization, fine tuning, etc)
- Familiarity with common DL architectures (CNNs, RNNs, Attention models, etc)
- Strong coding skills in Python and C++
- Experience with coding in TensorFlow or PyTorch;
- Creative, collaborative, and innovation-focused.
- Strong teamwork and technical presentation skills
- Passionate for creating innovative techniques, and making them robust and scalable.
- Experience with Android or other mobile systems, hardware systems, software systems or operating systems is a plus.
- Experience in applying machine learning and deep learning models on industrial scale problems is a plus.
- Some background knowledge in Neural Network Compression techniques (Quantization, Pruning, Tensor decomposition, Weight sharing, ) is a plus.
- Experience in parallel model training is a plus.
- Familiarity with DL compression methods such as pruning, quantization, weight sharing, etc is a plus.
Huawei Noah’s Ark Lab http://www.noahlab.com.hk/ is the international research lab of Huawei technologies, responsible for developing key future technologies and now opened several researcher positions in Accelerated Neural Technology (ANT) team.
We innovate at the leading edge of machine learning, computer vision, natural language processing, speech processing, efficient computing, among others for next generation Huawei's products. We have established intense collaborations with top Canadian universities such as McGill, Université de Montreal, University of Waterloo, University of Toronto, and also with cross-department cross-university research institutes such as Centre of Intelligent Machines (CIM), Waterloo AI institute, and Group for Research in Decision Analysis (GERAD).
We are open to junior and senior level candidates to contribute in open-source projects, university collaboration, and developing next generation “edge intelligence” technology
We are open to junior and senior level candidates to contribute in open-source projects https://github.com/huawei-noah/
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates shortlisted for interview will be contacted.