Director of Business Development
- New York, NY
HighWire provides powerful technology solutions to influential societies, university presses and independent publishers who produce high-impact journals, books, and other scholarly publications.
You will enjoy a flexible, collaborative and a stimulating work environment that will keep you engaged!
If you are interested in starting a progressive and gratifying career with a growth company that is charting new territory, then HighWire is the place for you!
The HighWire Press sales team is seeking a Sales Director for North America. The ideal candidate will be:
- Highly professional and engaging
- Familiar with the scholarly publishing market
- Comfortable selling to all levels of an organization, from the production office to the C suite
- Able to drive and close new business
- Confident presenting to any size group and able to think on your feet
- Results-oriented self-starter with the ability to meet deadlines and deliver excellent results in a fast-paced environment
- Strong in all MS office applications, excellent verbal and written communication skills, highly responsive, knowledge and thorough use of SalesForce is a plus
- Travel up to 70%, including some weekend attendance at conferences.
- Conduct sales activities in pursuit of new business; including developing the sales pipeline by engaging with new prospects, generating proposals, closing accounts.
- Present a highly professional image at all times when representing HighWire
- Cold-calling to prospective clients
- Provide solution-selling strategies for society publishers, commercial publishers, and university presses
- Create proposals in response to RFPs
- Present proposals in a “pitch” setting
- Provide detailed activity reports
- Attend weekly sales team meetings via phone and/or webex
- Conduct business meetings with prospects either in person or on the phone.
- Retain a current and thorough understanding of the scholarly publishing business as well as editorial and production workflows.
- Stay apprised of market developments through publishing news channels and networking.
- Maintain a volunteer position with at least one scholarly publishing organization (CSE, SSP, PSP).
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university or equivalent.
- 5 -10 years of demonstrated high level achievement in business development and/or new business sales within the scholarly publishing landscape.
- Must be able to hit the ground running by immediately setting up key meetings with major publishers.
- Experience in taking ownership of a prospect and seeing it through to completion
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to provide professional level presentations to small and large audiences.
- Expert-level proficiency with using Salesforce.com and the Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Highly professional
- Ability to mutli-task and work well under pressure
- Participate in industry conferences around the US
- Willing to travel as required.
HighWire offers an outstanding total compensation package including excellent health and wellness benefits and a flexible and dynamic work environment.
HighWire is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.