Java Web Developer - Contract
- Brighton, United Kingdom
You will have the opportunity to work hand-in-hand with the world's best-known publishers, researchers and industry thought leaders. Together you will help shape the future of technology solutions for the scholarly community. You will enjoy a flexible, collaborative and a stimulating work environment that will keep you engaged. It will be an unbeatable experience.
If you are interested in starting a progressive and gratifying career with a growth company that is charting new territory, then HighWire is the place for you!
You will work within a small, fun, and passionate team developing java applications for the web. You will be required to develop major and minor enhancements to existing applications, and conduct application maintenance.
You will be tasked with work on challenging problems across the entire application stack: user experience, software design, performance at scale.
• Plan, design, implement, test, and document application code in adherence to functional and non-functional (performance, scalability, security, usability) business requirements.
• Work with technical leads, project management, product owners, technical architects and testing staff to develop and deploy high quality applications.
• As part of an agile team, share responsibility for refining, planning, and estimating the duration and complexity of tasks.
• Develop systems that adhere to architecture standards, risk management and security policies.
• Unit test all new software thoroughly to ensure highest quality levels possible.
• Can work on both large and small projects, with the same attention to detail.
• Will look at a problem pragmatically, and choose the solution based on what is fit-for-purpose.
• Deliver within acceptable timescales, to agreed quality standards.
• Provide support for production applications, ensuring highest availability through urgent correction of problems and issues.
• Produce updates to system documentation for completed developments to support defect resolution.
• Work with project management, product owners and senior technical staff to analyse and clarify clients’ requirements and minimise ambiguities.
• Ability to understand business requirements and translate into technical requirements.
• Ability to communicate technical information to a non-technical audience.
• Multi-task and work on multiple projects with varying priorities and deadlines.
• Integrate in-house and third-party software components to create the designed system.
• Work with operations and support teams to deploy applications to various environments and ensure they can be supported.
This is a 12 month Fixed Term Contract with potential opportunity to become permanent at the end of the 12 month period.
To be considered as our Java Web Developer, you must be able to demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• Educated to a degree level of similar.
• Excellent software development skills including:
o Requirements analysis.
o Software Design.
o OO design skills and knowledge of design patterns.
o Unit and integration testing.
• Good working knowledge of the core Java APIs.
• Knowledge of Spring core (or other Java IoC or web framework)
• Has had exposure to the Java Persistence API (JPA) using Hibernate or other implementation.
• Knowledge of SQL database systems such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server or SQLite.
• Desire to learn new skills and keep up with technologies.
• Ability to work well independently as well as in a team
• Has used version control systems such as Git, Subversion or similar.
• Knowledge of web servers and application servers such as Apache Tomcat or Jetty.
• Good communication skills in written and spoken English.
• Experience of the Linux/Unix environment.
• Knowledge of the Solr/Lucene search engine.
• Knowledge of XML database systems such as MarkLogic, eXist or BaseX.
• Experience of XML technologies such as XSLT, XPath and XQuery.
HighWire offers an outstanding total compensation package including excellent health and wellness benefits and a flexible and dynamic work environment.
HighWire is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.