Chief Financial Officer
- Los Gatos, CA
HighWire provides powerful technology solutions to influential societies, university presses and independent publishers who produce high-impact journals, books, and other scholarly publications.
You will enjoy a flexible, collaborative and a stimulating work environment that will keep you engaged!
If you are interested in starting a progressive and gratifying career with a growth company that is charting new territory, then HighWire is the place for you!
HighWire is currently experiencing tremendous year‐on‐year growth as it continues to build the leading ePublishing platform designed to extend the reach, impact, and exchange of scholarly ideas through its innovative technology. As such there are tremendous opportunities for the right executive to help participate and guide the company to the next level of scale, including growing the company’s footprint both within the US and internationally.
The Chief Financial Officer of HighWire will immediately become a trusted business partner to the Chief Executive Officer. She/he will be a key member of the senior management team, a major contributor to the company’s strategic thinking and an advocate of the company’s vision.
The core accountabilities of the Chief Financial Officer will include managing all financial operations of the company, strategic planning, reporting of financial results to internal and external stakeholders, building the platform for organic and inorganic growth, and corporate finance. In addition, the Chief Financial Officer will be responsible for recruiting, building, and mentoring a small but strong and collaborative finance team. She/he should possess high levels of intellect, drive and energy. She/he will also be a self‐confident, team‐oriented individual with strong ethics and integrity. This executive should excel working in a very high growth venture backed company.
The Chief Financial Officer will lead a finance team of five people to date, with the following direct reports and functions either in place or to be built:
- BI systems
- Financial Planning & Analysis
- Take full ownership for effectively managing the finance organization with primary accountability for financial reporting, accounting, cash management, and financial planning (budget, strategic plan, operational efficiency etc.)
- Build trust and rapport with key internal and external stakeholders; establish presence as a reliable, trusted and valuable member of the executive leadership team
- Develop a deep understanding of the organization’s challenges and opportunities; gain buy‐in in order to execute a plan that supports the organization in making measurable and material progress towards the company’s vision
- Driving an efficient yet analytically rigorous decision making process
- Build and present a results dashboard that enables the business to understand the current reality, near‐term opportunities and its progress relative to the strategy
- Create and contribute to a high‐performance team environment that values communication, results, service and respect
- Work collaboratively with members of the executive team to establish a highly effective long‐term plan that culminates in a clear, measurable and realistic growth strategy
The ideal candidate will have an exceptional track record of leading Finance teams/divisions in growth companies. She/he will be strategic and results‐driven with strong leadership skills. Ideally, she/he will have a demonstrated ability to build effective teams in high growth environments.
- Successful experience as a CFO/VP Finance in a high growth SaaS company
- Have a deep finance and accounting background (10+ years)
- Strong FP&A skills : (i) ability to generate insights supporting accurate forecasting and expectation management for external parties and (ii) ability to develop KPIs and other tools supporting management’s continuous improvement across functional areas
- Significant experience in financial and business management with increasing responsibilities for multi‐faceted direction and planning
- Prior success in developing forecasting models with internal teams in a SaaS company (e.g. finance, account management, sales teams etc.)
- Prior experience overseeing and driving M&A and the integration of acquired assets and teams
- Experience effectively prioritizing financial operations, establishing plans and contingencies
- Have a broad business sense and ability to manage a finance function beyond the numbers (i.e. be a business person as well as a finance person). She/he will have a strong understanding and passion for the operational side of the business
- Must have a quantitative grasp on complex issues while being able to distil the facts and focus on key issues
- Ability to develop comprehensive and systemic analysis and interpretation of financial performance and provide insightful and user‐friendly analytic reports for the executive team, VC sponsor and board of directors on a regular basis
- Ability to effectively communicate both up and down the organization key financial priorities and time constraints
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, build, lead and manage the internal Finance team while also serving in an “externally facing” capacity
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills, and the ability to successfully make presentations to investors, lenders, shareholders etc.
- This executive must possess the skills to quickly be viewed internally, externally and by customers as highly trusted and respected
- Prior experience in a VC / PE backed company is also a significant plus (e.g. comfortable with capital structure, working with lenders, working with a VC board etc.)
- Alignment with HighWire’s collaborative culture and values. The ideal candidate will have a low expressed ego, be hard‐working, honest, willing to roll up their sleeves and make an impact without large support staff, integrate well into an intelligent and technical high‐ growth culture, and be aligned with team’s overall objectives
- Forward‐looking, strategic orientation
- Strong conceptual and critical thinking skills
- Highly responsive and collaborative nature; as well as the ability to listen, understand, and analyze
- Comfort level working in a high growth company
- A world class executive with a balanced background in finance, strategy, and business
- A strong results orientation, a high energy level, a strong presence, a good sense of humor, a love for work, and a desire to succeed
HighWire offers an outstanding total compensation package including excellent health and wellness benefits and a flexible and dynamic work environment.
HighWire is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.