Workers' Compensation Associate Attorney
- 415 N 10th St, St. Louis, MO 63101, USA
Hennessy & Roach, P.C. is a law firm defending employers in Workers’ Compensation and defendants in General Liability matters. H&R is based in Chicago with additional offices in Springfield, Illinois; St. Louis, Missouri; Overland Park, KS; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Indianapolis, Indiana and Omaha, Nebraska. The firm handles matters throughout the States of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas and Wisconsin. Founded by Thomas G. Hennessy and James P. Roach on May 17, 1993, the firm continues to grow.
Successful law firm seeks an attorney with two or more years’ experience defending workers' compensation claims in Illinois and Missouri for our St. Louis, MO office. Hennessy & Roach, P.C. is a growing and dynamic firm with a seven-state footprint (WI, IN, IL, MO, NE, IA, and KS). Applicants should have strong academic record and references. Please submit a resume along with salary requirement for consideration.
Essential Job Functions:
· Gathering medical evidence and medical records
· Taking depositions of the claimant, physicians, medical experts and other parties
· Conducting discovery
· Performing legal research
· Remaining current with developments in the law
· Drafting pleadings, findings of fact, motions, briefs, opinions and other legal documents
· Litigating cases before a workers' compensation judge or referee
· Represent the interests of the employer or insurer at hearings, trials, depositions, oral arguments, mediations, arbitrations, and other proceedings
· Communicate with claims representatives
· Monitor loss run reports for trends and increases and alerts management to concerns
· Assist with the investigation of accidents and problem areas
· Manage workers' compensation costs to reduce liability
· Compile and submit reports required by company management
· Coordinate and attend claims reviews
· Negotiate settlements on behalf of the insurance company
· Other related duties as assigned
Education, Skills and Qualifications:
· J.D and Illinois license required; MO license is preferred.
· Proven track record of progressive experience in defense work
· Working knowledge of legal principles and practices. In depth knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations
· Thorough knowledge of legal research techniques and legal terminology
· Microsoft Word experience required; Time Matters legal software experience preferred
· Outstanding organizational, interpersonal, research and administrative skills
· Excellent attention to detail with the ability to multi-task
· Excellent telephone and writing skills
· Must be self-motivated and able to meet deadlines under pressure
· Must have the ability to work as part of a team, as well independently
· Organization, Planning, Attention to Detail, and Dependability
· Firm and Client Confidentiality required
Benefits include: Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Spending Account (FSA), Health Spending Account (HSA), Short Term & Long Term Disability, Life Insurance, Critical Illness & Accident Insurance, Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and 401(k)/Roth retirement plan with company match.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.