General Liability and Civil Litigation Legal Assistant
- 140 S Dearborn St, Chicago, IL 60603, USA
Hennessy & Roach, P.C. is a law firm defending employers in Workers’ Compensation and defendants in General Liability matters. H&R is based in Chicago with additional offices in Springfield, Illinois; St. Louis, Missouri; Green Bay, Wisconsin; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Indianapolis, Indiana, Omaha, Nebraska, and Overland Park Kansas. The firm handles matters throughout the States of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas and Wisconsin. Founded by Thomas G. Hennessy and James P. Roach on May 17, 1993, the firm continues to grow.
The GL Legal Assistant enhances attorneys’ effectiveness by developing case information, evidence, and settlement options; tracking cases; supporting attorney's trial proceedings. This position will support multiple attorneys with the preparation of documents for general liability defense and civil litigation cases.
Essential Job Functions:
· Keeps cases organized by establishing and organizing files; monitoring calendars; meeting deadlines; documenting actions; inputting information into file database and case management software.
· Helps develop cases by maintaining contact with people involved in the case; scheduling depositions; preparing and forwarding summonses and subpoenas; requesting medical records, filing discovery requests and various court pleadings.
· Enhances trial proceedings by organizing evidence; preparing exhibits; scheduling witnesses; ensuring that witnesses are ready when needed.
· Transcribing dictation, scheduling depositions and IME’s, maintenance of files, including file aways, and coordination of court appearances.
· Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
· Other duties as assigned.
· High school diploma or GED (or equivalent) required; Associates or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
· Paralegal certificate preferred.
· 5+ years of general litigation legal support experience in a law firm.
· Working knowledge of court rules and procedures.
· Experience with Odyssey E-Filing System for Circuit Court and Outlying County Courts preferred.
· Microsoft Word experience required; Excel and PowerPoint experience preferred.
· Outstanding organizational, interpersonal, and administrative skills.
· Excellent attention to detail with the ability to multi-task.
· Excellent telephone, writing, and proofreading skills.
· Must be self-motivated and able to meet deadlines under pressure.
· Must have the ability to work as part of a team, as well as to work independently.
· Organization, Planning, Attention to Detail, and Dependability.
· Firm and Client Confidentiality required.
Benefits include: Medical, Dental, Vision, HSA, FSA (dependent and medical), STD/LTD, Group Life & Voluntary Life, Critical Illness & Accident Insurance, Pre-Tax Transit program, 401(k)/Roth retirement plan with company match and employee assistance program.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.