Law Clerk (part-time)
- 140 S Dearborn St, Chicago, IL 60603, USA
Hennessy & Roach, P.C. is a law firm defending employers in Workers’ Compensation and defendants in General Liability matters. H&R is based in Chicago with additional offices in Springfield, Illinois; St. Louis, Missouri; Green Bay, Wisconsin; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Indianapolis, Indiana and Omaha, Nebraska. The firm handles matters throughout the States of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas and Wisconsin. Founded by Thomas G. Hennessy and James P. Roach on May 17, 1993, the firm continues to grow.
Successful law firm seeks a part time Law Clerk for our downtown Chicago headquarters. Candidate must be detail-oriented and have experience working in the legal industry. This position requires a highly motivated, organized professional capable of functioning in a fast-paced, challenging legal environment. Please forward cover letter, resume and wage requirements for consideration.
Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
This Law Clerk position is responsible for following a filing system and organizing records, such as letters, legal documents, case files, correspondence, invoices and memoranda according to that system. They locate and retrieve requested files, as well as prepare legal document indices, file folders and labels. They may be responsible for keeping files up-to-date. In addition to filing, clerks may perform other clerical duties, such as handling mail, faxing, using a copy machine, maintaining a calendar, and managing office equipment. In addition to clerical duties, law clerks may also act as a courier to make deliveries and pickups within the downtown Chicagoland area. A potential candidate should be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
Essential Job Functions:
· Backup of downstate status calls process and updating information in Time Matters as well as notifying attorneys.
· Review and docket mail and other related documents pertaining to the worker’s compensation cases.
· Assist attorney with filing of Circuit Court and Appellate briefs and motions. Ensure documents are properly delivered to the appropriate venue.
· Maintain daily calendar and computer files. Ensure tasks are completed timely and properly documented.
· Keeps cases organized by establishing and organizing files; monitoring calendars; meeting deadlines; documenting actions; inputting information into file database and case management software.
· Making sure filing is done and up to date.
· Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
· Maintaining records attendant to court proceedings.
· Other related duties as assigned.
Education, Skills and Qualifications:
· High school diploma or GED (or equivalent) required; Associates or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
· 0-2 years of experience supporting a legal office or working in the legal industry.
· Working knowledge of court rules and procedures.
· Microsoft Word and Outlook experience required; Excel experience preferred.
· Outstanding organizational, interpersonal, and administrative skills.
· Excellent attention to detail with the ability to multi-task.
· Excellent communication and proofreading skills.
· Must be self-motivated and able to meet deadlines under pressure.
· Must have the ability to work as part of a team, as well as to work independently.
· Organization, Planning, Attention to Detail, and Dependability.
· Firm and Client Confidentiality required.
Benefits include: 401(k)/Roth retirement plan with company match.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.