System Engineer (Linux) - 4 to 6 Years (Evening Shift)
- 8th Floor, Western Aqua, Whitefields, Kondapur, Hyderabad, Telangana, India
Harsco Corporation is a market-leading, global provider of environmental solutions for industrial, retail and medical waste streams, and innovative equipment and technology for the rail sector. We have an unrivalled breadth of experience across the globe and an impressive reputation stretching back more than a century. Based in Camp Hill, PA, with more than 13,000 employees and the company operates in more than 30 countries.
About Harsco GSC
Harsco GSC handles a wide range of services, finance and accounting shared services, global HR shared services, providing IT Service and helpdesk support and market research support to Harsco globally. We are Operating since 2008 & Serving 30+ Countries
- Collaborate with Technical staff to ensure smooth and reliable operation of software and systems for fulfilling business objectives and processes.
- Support to implement the most optimal and secure cloud-based solutions for the company.
- Plan, implement and establish operational and maintenance programs to deliver a best-in-class cloud platform optimized for efficiency cost and performance.
- Maintain essential Linux server IT operations - Perform installations/patching of operating system, storage, software installation, and system backups
- Automate repeatable tasks utilizing scripting and other tools, define processes for repeating tasks
- Ensure compliance with Security, Hardware and Software Standards.
- Work with executive team members, decision makers, and stakeholders to define business requirements and systems goals, and to identify and resolve business systems issues.
- Ensure High Availability of all servers, shared software, groupware, and other applications.
- Recognize and troubleshoot technical problems within acceptable service levels. Monitor and react to output from tools and systems. Depending on priority and complexity of the incident, will escalate or troubleshoot accordingly
- Monitor and test Systems performance; prepare and deliver performance statistics and reports.
- Analyze, select and install new software releases and patches, and coordinate installs/testing/updates with appropriate Division IT management.
- Delivery of robust and comprehensive documentation, incorporating best practices which address disaster recovery, architecture, topology, support models, maintenance, troubleshooting runbooks, deployments, disaster recovery & testing
- Participate as a technical team member for projects and/or upgrades; provide recommendations and suggestions as required for the successful implementation of new systems.
- Provide On-Call support; respond to requests in a timely manner; work with other team members and site support staff in resolving issues; escalate system problems to management as necessary.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours at times, including weekends, in support of a global organization as required.
- Provide guidance and backup support for other technical staff members, when necessary.
- Ensure all application related activities comply with the Harsco’s Global IT Policies, Procedures, Standards, and Best Practices.
- Stays current with technological developments in systems administration technology and recommends ways to take advantage of new technology.
- Perform installations/patching of RHEL(Red Hat Enterprise Linux) / OEL ( Oracle Enterprise Linux ) operating system, software installation, and system backups - data recover
- Administering, troubleshooting DNS, clustering, virtualization, Kernel tuning, system hangs - crashes, NFS configuration activities / issues
- Performance management, performance tuning - capacity management of servers for optimum performance
- Securing the servers by hardening as per industry standard. Remediating of vulnerabilities at regular intervals
- Experience working in a Production Linux environment, including system troubleshooting, performance analysis, network troubleshooting.
- Knowledge of the Linux kernel and kernel modules.
- Ability to create scripts to automate tasks (Bash, Python...)
- Experience with monitoring tools, such as Application Insights, Microsoft Operations Management Suite (OMS).
- Experience with Azure Resource Templates.
- Good understanding of firewalls, load balancer required
- Knowledge of ITIL and ticketing tools as ServiceNow, Remedy etc.
- Excellent communication, both oral and written, and interpersonal skill
- Experience working with global teams
- Evening shift - 5.30 PM -2.30 AM IST
Relevant Experience: 4 – 6 Years
- Possess and applies a broad knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures of IT infrastructure to the completion of difficult assignments.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and analyze infrastructure problems with speed and efficiency.
- Makes recommendations for changes and implements enhancements of systems.
- Provides continual hands on support in the monitor, use, capacity and performance of Servers and Applications
- Demonstrated ability to take a project through all phases of implementation as well as post-implementation follow-up.
- May train, or assist in the training of, Level 1 System Engineers.
Academic – Minimum of any Graduation
Certification – RHCSA (Mandatory) / AZ103/4 (Preferred)
The information about this job description given above has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.