Benefit Specialist – Health and Welfare
- 350 Poplar Church Rd, Camp Hill, PA 17011, USA
Harsco Corporation is a diversified, global engineered products and services company serving the worldwide environmental, steel, railway and energy sectors. We have an unrivalled breadth of experience across the globe and an impressive reputation stretching back more than a century. Based in Camp Hill, PA, with more than 13,000 employees and the company operates in more than 30 countries.
Harsco's services and products directly support worldwide industries that are fundamental to economic growth, from steel mills to railroads, natural gas and energy.
Position Summary and Primary Responsibilities
This is an individual contributor role supporting the overall performance of the various employee benefit plans for U.S. employees. The role is focused primarily on the health and welfare plans, but may provide support to retirement and wellness programs, and/or other benefit initiatives, as needed.
Working with the Sr. Benefits Manager, analyze current and proposed benefits programs for alignment with Harsco’s Total Rewards philosophy, market competitiveness, compliance with applicable regulatory and legislative requirements and for cost effectiveness. Lead projects as directed. Prepare communications materials and conduct employee meetings/orientations for division HR staff as required.
Primary liaison for employees in all divisions and corporate personnel, including HR staff, regarding escalated member issues (eligibility, coverage, claims, etc.). Works with vendor partners to ensure resolution of eligibility and claim issues. Prepares accounting as needed for vendor remittance and reconciles employee contributions. Partner with Payroll, HRIS and Field HR team to ensure smooth operation of plans and value-added employee experience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Responsible for ensuring all benefit plans are administered correctly and efficiently, while adhering to regulatory and corporate deadlines.
- Provide functional guidance and direction to employees, departmental managers, and insurance carriers.
- Work with Benefits Manager, insurers and internal departments to maximize plan performance and improve the employee experience. Identify and implement process improvements to maximize efficiency and accuracy in benefit administration.
- Develop benefits training materials, communications, and presentations to be shared with various corporate and business segment audiences.
- Assist with the review, development, and implementation of any new benefits plans.
- Participate in reviewing current benefits programs to ensure compliance with legislative, regulatory and/or market practice changes.
- Assist with the analysis and integration of benefits programs within Harsco’s Total Rewards philosophy and strategy and HRIS system.
- Manage benefits projects as directed by the Benefits Manager.
- Prepare written employee communications, plan employee communication meetings and presentations.
- Support Benefits Team and HR Field Team on benefit-related matters and transactions that require a higher level of expertise, intervention and interpretation. Ascertain appropriate resources and assist in resolution.
- Communicate with employees, retirees, dependents and beneficiaries regarding eligibility, coverage, and other benefits matters.
- Assist with the coordination of wellness program initiatives including biometric screenings, immunizations, health assessments and more.
- Prepare and analyze standard and ad hoc benefit related reports based on business need. Maintain benefits records and documents.
- Assist with annual benefits open enrollment: coordinate internal and external resources to ensure system updates, communications, and all materials are accurately and timely distributed.
- Respond to escalated benefit and claim issues by researching and resolving with insurers and communicate results to all parties.
- Partner with other members of Benefits and HRIS team to resolve issues regarding enrollment, payroll contributions or carrier invoicing.
- Willing and able to travel domestically up to 20% of the time.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Five or more years of experience managing employee health and wellness benefit plans.
- Benefit experience in large, public company to include self-insured/self-funded plans.
- Familiarity with stoploss insurance, ERISA, HIPAA, ACA and other legislative and compliance requirements.
- Experience with collective bargaining agreements.
Education or Experience
- Experience with high cost claims reporting.
- Experience with high-deductible medical plans with HSA/HRA.
- Experience with defined benefit pension and defined contribution retirement plans a plus.
- Strong verbal and written communication, organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of employees and management.
- Ability to maintain confidential information at all times.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical data
- Ability to write in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions
- Computer skills
- Mathematical skills
- Analytical skills
We offer competitive benefits, including health insurance, life insurance and disability plans, as well as a 401k with company matching.
Harsco is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status or any other characteristic protected by law.
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not intended to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position.