Labor Relations Manager
- 110 5th Ave, New York, NY 10011, USA
- Department: H&M
Title: Labor Relations Manager
Function: Human Resources
Overall Job Function: Provides expertise and leadership around all US labor relation focuses and partnerships. In partnership with the Country ER Manager, manages the relations, negotiations, agreements and policies for all US union matters, in-line with H&M company values.
Job Responsibility including but not limited to:
- Serves as the front-line expert on labor agreement negotiations. Interprets and drafts contract proposals or counter-proposals for collective bargaining or other labor negotiations while considering impact on Company operations. Assesses risk levels and proposes resolutions and strategy for collective bargaining or other labor or contract negotiations.
- Serves as the primary point of contact for union representatives.
- Ensures compliance with collective bargaining agreements and answers questions from all levels of management on contract provisions.
- Provides information to stakeholders/senior leadership for system wide potential issues, emerging trends, and hot topics.
- Provides input on strategic use of labor agreements to achieve business objectives.
- Partners with HR team to ensure employment practices are compliant with contracts on matters such as wages, hours, or conditions of employment.
- Supports, instructs and coaches Labor Relations Generalist and store management roles on ways to improve employee relations and drive staff retention.
- Provides guidance regarding employee incidents, conducting investigations and develops recommendations on level of discipline as needed. Reviews discharge and corrective action recommendations with Employee Relations Specialist and Country Employee Relations Manager, as necessary.
- Approves/oversees escalated involuntary terminations for unionized stores
- Provides guidance in an attempt to resolve grievance issues prior to formal filing.
- Reviews grievance handling and decision making with Labor Relations Generalist
- Takes lead on arbitrations that arise out of grievances (Step I & Step II)
- Presents the position of the Company during arbitration or other labor negotiations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in HR, Business, Management, Labor Relations or Law strongly preferred
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in multi-unit retail HR role dealing with labor and employee relations matters including coaching and counseling staff and exposure to benefits, wage administration, performance review management, payroll, recruiting and training.
- At least 5 years as a manager in a retail environment
- SHRM or HRCI HR certification preferred
- Detailed knowledge of federal and state/municipal legal requirements including Title VII, FLSA, FMLA, ADA, FCRA, etc.
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely and diplomatically.
- Skilled at solving conflicts in an objective, direct and constructive way.
- Ability to be neutral and confidential and deal with sensitive information.
- Exceptional customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Able to work both strategically as well as operationally.
- Takes own initiative to anticipate upcoming needs.
- Strong professional maturity.
- Able to multitask with strong time management skills.
- Travel at least 35% of the time
Job Status: Exempt
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.