CLS Supervisor - Tissue (AM Shift, Tues-Sat)
Guardant Health is a leading precision oncology company focused on helping conquer cancer globally through use of its proprietary tests, vast data sets and advanced analytics. The Guardant Health oncology platform leverages capabilities to drive commercial adoption, improve patient clinical outcomes and lower healthcare costs across all stages of the cancer care continuum. Guardant Health has commercially launched Guardant360®, Guardant360 CDx, Guardant360 TissueNext™, Guardant360 Response™, and GuardantOMNI® tests for advanced stage cancer patients, and Guardant Reveal™ for early-stage cancer patients. The Guardant Health screening portfolio, including the Shield™ test, aims to address the needs of individuals eligible for cancer screening.
The Clinical Laboratory General Supervisor (GS) is responsible for the general supervision of personnel and the daily operations in the Clinical Laboratory. The GS will often be the first point of contact for CLSs and Clinical Laboratory Associates (CLA) during laboratory processing and will provide guidance while troubleshooting high complexity technical and non-technical problems. The GS must also act as a liaison between the CLSs, CLAs, Technical Supervisor, Quality Manager and Laboratory Director. The GS will also be involved with scheduling, troubleshooting high complexity technical and non-technical problems, coaching and mentoring the laboratory staff, building effective teams, managing projects and meeting project deliverables, and understanding and implementing laboratory goals. Given the wide variety of tasks involved in this position, the GS must demonstrate the ability to analyze complex issues and make sound decisions in a timely manner, commitment to helping and motivating employees, the ability to respond to difficult issues quickly, fairly, and ethically, outstanding organizational skills, the ability to respond to change with flexibility and to adapt quickly to evolving circumstances, excellent communication skills including utilizing various communication channels, proactively communicating team goals and priorities clearly, openly and objectively, and communicating changes, issues, and challenges in all directions of the organization.
The nature of the work requires excellent attention to detail, effective written and verbal communication skills, the ability to multitask and be flexible with tasks and schedules, and the ability to work independently in a team environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The General Supervisor (CLS) is responsible for day-to-day supervision or oversight of the laboratory operation and personnel performing testing and reporting test results and must:
- Be accessible to testing personnel at all times testing is performed by providing on-site consultation to resolve technical problems in accordance with policies and procedures established either by the Laboratory Director or Technical Supervisor;
- Ensure a general supervisor is on the laboratory premises during all hours in which tests are performed on samples originating from New York and Pennsylvania;
- Be onsite to provide direct supervision when high complexity testing is performed by any qualified individuals;
- Be responsible for providing day-to-day supervision of high complexity test performance by testing personnel;
- Be responsible for monitoring test analyses and specimen examinations to ensure that acceptable levels of analytic performance are maintained;
- Assure that all remedial actions are taken whenever test systems deviate from the laboratory's established performance specifications;
- Ensure that patient test results are not reported until all corrective actions have been taken and the test system is properly functioning;
- Provide orientation to all testing personnel;
- Evaluate and document the performance of all testing personnel on an annual basis;
- Maintain records that demonstrate that proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens;
- Ensure that technical staff participate in at least twelve continuing education hours commensurate with their duties per year and the participation is documented; and
- Report all concerns of test quality and/or safety to the Laboratory Director, Technical Supervisor or Safety Officer.
- Must possess an active, valid CLS or Clinical Genetic Molecular Biologist Scientist (CGMBS) license issued by the state of California CLS or CGMBS license pursuant to Division 2, Chapter 3 of the California Business and Professions Code or to practice medicine, osteopathy or podiatry pursuant to Division 2, Chapter 5 of the California Business and Professions Code appropriate to the specialty or specialties they are performing;
- Must fulfill requirements stated in Title 17 California Code of Regulations Section 1036.1;
- Must fulfill requirements stated as described in 10 NYYCRR Parts 58-1.4;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Biomedical Laboratory Science, Clinical Science or related field;
- Post licensure, at least four years of Clinical Laboratory experience or equivalent high complexity and volume laboratory experience (at least two years with master's degree or at least one year with a PhD/MD).
- Supervisory experience preferred;
- Laboratory experience within the last year preferred;
- Experience in molecular biology techniques preferred;
- Strong working knowledge of local, state, and federal laboratory regulations;
- Able to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner;
- Ability to manage daily test processing needs with high emphasis on quality;
- Ability to analyze and problem solve basic issues that impact test performance;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Strong computer and automation skills;
- Ability to proactively communicate consistently, clearly, and honestly;
- Outstanding professionalism, leadership, and communications skills;
- Strong communicator with ability to maintain open communication with internal employees, managers and customers as needed;
- Ability to provide direct supervision to laboratory personnel; and
- Strong project management abilities.
For positions based in Palo Alto, CA or Redwood City, CA, the base salary range for this full-time position is $152,000 to $206,000 USD. The range does not include benefits, and if applicable, bonus, commission, or equity. The range displayed reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries across all US locations for the posted role with the exception of any locations specifically referenced below (if any).
Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including, but not limited to, job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. If you are selected to move forward, the recruiting team will provide details specific to the factors above.
Employee may be required to lift routine office supplies and use office equipment. Majority of the work is performed in a desk/office environment; however, there may be exposure to high noise levels, fumes, and biohazard material in the laboratory environment. Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
Guardant Health is committed to providing reasonable accommodations in our hiring processes for candidates with disabilities, long-term conditions, mental health conditions, or sincerely held religious beliefs. If you need support, please reach out to [email protected]
Guardant Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To learn more about the information collected when you apply for a position at Guardant Health, Inc. and how it is used, please review our Privacy Notice for Job Applicants.
Please visit our career page at: http://www.guardanthealth.com/jobs/