CLS Supervisor - Clinical Operations (Midnight Shift, Wed-Sat, 4X10 Hr Days)
Guardant Health is a leading precision oncology company focused on helping conquer cancer globally through use of its proprietary tests, vast data sets and advanced analytics. The Guardant Health oncology platform leverages capabilities to drive commercial adoption, improve patient clinical outcomes and lower healthcare costs across all stages of the cancer care continuum. Guardant Health has commercially launched Guardant360®, Guardant360 CDx, Guardant360 TissueNext™, Guardant360 Response™, and GuardantOMNI® tests for advanced stage cancer patients, and Guardant Reveal™ for early-stage cancer patients. The Guardant Health screening portfolio, including the Shield™ test, aims to address the needs of individuals eligible for cancer screening.
The Clinical Laboratory General Supervisor (GS) is responsible for the general supervision of personnel and the daily operations in the Clinical Laboratory. The GS will often be the first point of contact for CLSs and Clinical Laboratory Associates (CLA) during laboratory processing and will provide guidance while troubleshooting high complexity technical and non-technical problems. The GS must also act as a liaison between the CLSs, CLAs, Technical Supervisor, Quality Manager and Laboratory Director.
The GS will also be involved with scheduling, troubleshooting high complexity technical and non-technical problems, coaching and mentoring the laboratory staff, building effective teams, managing projects and meeting project deliverables, and understanding and implementing laboratory goals. Given the wide variety of tasks involved in this position, the GS must demonstrate the ability to analyze complex issues and make sound decisions in a timely manner, commitment to helping and motivating employees, the ability to respond to difficult issues quickly, fairly, and ethically, outstanding organizational skills, the ability to respond to change with flexibility and to adapt quickly to evolving circumstances, excellent communication skills including utilizing various communication channels, proactively communicating team goals and priorities clearly, openly and objectively, and communicating changes, issues, and challenges in all directions of the organization.
The nature of the work requires excellent attention to detail, effective written and verbal communication skills, the ability to multitask and be flexible with tasks and schedules, and the ability to work independently in a team environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide day-to-day supervision of laboratory personnel;
- Be responsible for the daily operations of the laboratory including but not limited to scheduling, independently troubleshooting and resolving technical and non-technical high complexity problems;
- Provide direct supervision of the work of unlicensed laboratory personnel during the analytical phase of testing;
- Independently identify and troubleshoot high complexity problems that adversely affect test performance;
- Perform administrative duties including but not limited to writing employee performance evaluations, writing and reviewing SOPs, protocols, QC forms, and equipment maintenance forms as assigned;
- Coach and mentor CLSs and CLAs including but not limited to providing guidance and constructive feedback and assisting with the development of the troubleshooting and judgment skills;
- Manage the testing and validation of new laboratory equipment and procedures;
- Participate in introduction of assay improvements, new assay configurations and validation;
- Participate in the inspection preparation activities as needed;
- Perform laboratory tests, procedures, and analyses according to the laboratory's standard operating procedures as needed;
- Perform, review and document laboratory quality control procedures, as needed;
- Document all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the established performance specifications as needed;
- Assist with the training of new laboratory personnel and training of new procedures with existing personnel;
- Participate in quality assurance activities;
- Effectively communicate technical information to technical and non-technical audiences;
- Maintain stringent standards for quality, identifying any issues which might adversely impact the quality of test results and/or employee safety, and communicating these to the appropriate management representatives as necessary for resolution;
- Perform other laboratory duties as assigned;
- Perform and document reagent qualification per the approved protocols as needed;
- Perform biennial review of Standard Operating Procedures; and
- Report all concerns of test quality and/or safety to the Technical Supervisor, Laboratory Director or Safety Officer.
- Must possess an active, valid CLS or Clinical Genetic Molecular Biologist Scientist (CGMBS) license issued by the state of California CLS or CGMBS license pursuant to Division 2, Chapter 3 of the California Business and Professions Code or to practice medicine, osteopathy or podiatry pursuant to Division 2, Chapter 5 of the California Business and Professions Code appropriate to the specialty or specialties they are performing;
- Must fulfill requirements stated in Title 17 California Code of Regulations Section 1036.1;
- Must fulfill requirements stated as described in 10 NYYCRR Parts 58-1.4;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Biomedical Laboratory Science, Clinical Science or related field;
- Post licensure, at least four years of Clinical Laboratory experience or equivalent high complexity and volume laboratory experience (at least two years with master's degree or at least one year with a PhD/MD).
- Supervisory experience preferred;
- Laboratory experience within the last year preferred;
- Experience in molecular biology techniques preferred;
- Strong working knowledge of local, state, and federal laboratory regulations;
- Able to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner;
- Ability to manage daily test processing needs with high emphasis on quality;
- Ability to analyze and problem solve basic issues that impact test performance;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Strong computer and automation skills;
- Ability to proactively communicate consistently, clearly, and honestly;
- Outstanding professionalism, leadership, and communications skills;
- Strong communicator with ability to maintain open communication with internal employees, managers and customers as needed;
- Ability to provide direct supervision to laboratory personnel; and
- Strong project management abilities
For positions based in Palo Alto, CA or Redwood City, CA, the hourly range for this full-time position is $152,000 to $206,000. The range does not include benefits and, if applicable, overtime, bonus, commission, or equity.
Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including, but not limited to, job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. If you are selected to move forward, the recruiting team will provide details specific to the factors above.
Employee may be required to lift routine office supplies and use office equipment. Majority of the work is performed in a desk/office environment; however, there may be exposure to high noise levels, fumes, and biohazard material in the laboratory environment. Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
Guardant Health is committed to providing reasonable accommodations in our hiring processes for candidates with disabilities, long-term conditions, mental health conditions, or sincerely held religious beliefs. If you need support, please reach out to [email protected]
Guardant Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To learn more about the information collected when you apply for a position at Guardant Health, Inc. and how it is used, please review our Privacy Notice for Job Applicants.
Please visit our career page at: http://www.guardanthealth.com/jobs/