PhD Research Scholarship: Exosomes as biomarkers for liver disease
- Primary Location (Campus): Gold Coast Campus
- Employment Type: Full Time
- Department ID: Sciences - SET
- Appointment Type: Fixed Term
The Saliva and Liquid Biopsy Translational Laboratory based at Griffith University is working towards developing novel diagnostic techniques for emerging diseases. We are seeking applications from prospective Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) students to work in a biomarker discovery research program supported by a Gallipoli Medical Research Foundation (GMRF) grant. This is your chance to make a difference to the increasing incidence of liver disease worldwide.
The project aims to identify exosome-related biomarkers for liver diseases, with a view towards developing a test or potential drug targets for liver diseases. Exosomes will be isolated from blood and saliva samples from liver disease patients and characterized using mass spectrometry and microRNA sequencing. Identified targets will then be evaluated and validated according to their diagnostic or prognostic performance.
The selection of applicants for the award of higher degree research scholarships at Griffith University involves consideration of your academic merit and research background.
- Expressions of interest are welcome from domestic and international applicants.
- Applicants must have completed, or expect to complete, a bachelors degree with honours equivalent to first class honours or a Masters degree (AQF Level 9) incorporating a significant research component of a standard comparable to a bachelor honours degree or be regarded by Griffith University as having an equivalent level of attainment in accordance with Schedule One of the HDR Scholarship Policy. For further information on the eligibility requirements for the program refer here.
International applicants should ensure that English Language Proficiency requirements for the program are met before formally applying. Applicants to research programs will need to show they meet:
- A minimum overall band score of 6.5 on the IELTS (Academic) with no band score less than 6.0 OR
- A minimum score of 575 on the paper-based TOEFL including a score of no less than 5.0 on the TWE OR
- A score of 79 on the internet-based (iBT) TOEFL with no sub-score less than 19
This scholarship is offered once only to one person. Starting date as soon as possible.
The value of this scholarship is AUD 32,192 (per annum). This award is to be used for living expenses. This scholarship is paid fortnightly for the period of 3 years.
The candidate will have a Biology background with interest in biomarker discovery.
This scholarship is for study in Australia for those who have achieved Honours 1 (or equivalent) or Masters of Philosophy in Biology or Biochemistry.
Please do not select the “APPLY” button. All expressions of interest must be submitted to [email protected] containing:
- Curriculum vitae including a list of publications and communications
- A motivation letter
- Two letters of recommendation
Professor Chamindie Punyadeera
Head of the Saliva and Liquid Biopsy Translational Laboratory
Griffith Institute for Drug Discovery
Email: [email protected]
The closing date for expressions of interest is: Wednesday 31st May 2023