Special Events Manager
- Cleveland, OH, USA
At Great Lakes Science Center, we make science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) come alive to feed the inner sense of curiosity for guests of all ages. We believe in the value of using real scientific challenges through opportunities to invent, design, tinker and create to encourage curiosity and experimentation. The Science Center remains committed to developing informal science education programs that inspire young minds, improve STEM literacy and cultivate the creative, critical thinkers who will shape the future of Northeast Ohio.
Great Lakes Science Center embraces and encourages the unique attributes, characteristics and perspectives that make each person unique. We consider diversity and inclusion essential for institutional excellence and fulfillment of our vision - a community where all people value STEM to inform decision making and enrich lives. We believe our strength lies in the collective sum of individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, ingenuity, self-expression, and unique capabilities. Our employees, volunteers, guests, and partners bring and invest these strengths in their daily experiences at the Great Lakes Science Center. We champion an unending commitment to diversity of participation, thought, and action. It is our aim, therefore, that our board, staff, and key stakeholders embrace these principles.
The position of Special Event Manager reports to the Vice President of Operations and is responsible for maximizing revenue from corporations and individuals through facility rental sales within the building and its property. The Manager is responsible for development and execution of sales and marketing strategy, booking events, as well as all event logistics and related organizational operations. This position directly oversees the special events assistant and works closely with the Science Center’s onsite caterer (Levy Restaurants) as well as the facilities, exhibits, marketing, development and education departments. This position requires frequent evening and weekend hours for events operations and site visits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Develop and implement a sales plan to maximize facility rental revenue for the organization.
· Work with the marketing department to develop and create sales and marketing materials, including but not limited to digital advertising, social media content, traditional advertising, e-newsletters and direct mail.
· Proactively identify opportunities to increase facility rental revenue and client base.
· Manage special events budget cost center, including revenue and related expenses. Deliver on-budget results, while providing accurate forecasts throughout the fiscal year.
· Work directly with event clients and potential clients to field event inquires, arrange site visits, coordinate event logistics, and manage contracts and invoicing for each event.
· Networks and communicates extensively with a wide variety of entities to establish relationships, gather service information, analyzes and recommends vendors for the event to ensure quality and cost-effective services. Manages and create rentals orders for vendors, manage and track service, inventory, rental orders and invoicing.
· Deliver excellent customer service for external clients and vendors during all stages of planning and while executing events.
· Supervise special event assistant(s); direct the work tasks of staff and volunteers assigned to work events.
· Directly or indirectly through the special event assistant manage events (many evening and weekend), including overseeing day of event operations and ensuring excellent client and guest experiences.
· Works in close collaboration with staff in all departments and ensures that event logistics are shared in advance, with the security & facilities department as well as front-line departmental staff to ensure proper set up and staffing.
· Work closely with onsite caterer (Levy Restaurants), facilities, exhibitions, education, marketing and development departments to ensure all event details are planned, communicated and executed.
· Lead major, organization-wide events as needed.
· Participate in all organization cross-functional team meetings, including weekly logistics meetings.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
· This position manages the special events assistant and is responsible for the performance management and hiring of the staff within that department.
· Attention to detail
· Collaboration and communication
· Business acumen
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Education and Work Experience Qualifications:
· Associate’s Degree, or higher, from an accredited college or university in marketing, sales, business administration, or related field is preferred. A minimum of 2-4 years’ experience in sales, marketing or special events is required.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications (K/S/A):
· Strong sales skills, including the development of messaging, prospecting and qualifying potential leads, and the ability to manage day-to-day sales and operational details for multiple clients and events is essential.
· Demonstrated success in developing and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders including colleagues.
· Strong business acumen, including problem solving, vision, management of deadlines, collaborative leadership style and decision making and ability to analyze diverse facts and develop clear and concise reports and recommendations.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
· Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite of products, including Excel, is necessary.
· Position requires frequent evening and weekend hours.
· Salary Range: $50,000 - $58,000 annually
· Great Lakes Science Center offers a range of benefits including health care, employee discounts, 403(b) retirement savings plan, paid time off and more!
Great Lakes Science Center is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All of your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.