Facilities and Security Technician
- Cleveland, OH, USA
At Great Lakes Science Center, we make science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) come alive to feed the inner sense of curiosity for guests of all ages. We believe in the value of using real scientific challenges through opportunities to invent, design, tinker and create to encourage curiosity and experimentation. The Science Center remains committed to developing informal science education programs that inspire young minds, improve STEM literacy and cultivate the creative, critical thinkers who will shape the future of Northeast Ohio.
Great Lakes Science Center embraces and encourages the unique attributes, characteristics and perspectives that make each person unique. We consider diversity and inclusion essential for institutional excellence and fulfillment of our vision - a community where all people value STEM to inform decision making and enrich lives. We believe our strength lies in the collective sum of individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, ingenuity, self-expression, and unique capabilities. Our employees, volunteers, guests, and partners bring and invest these strengths in their daily experiences at the Great Lakes Science Center. We champion an unending commitment to diversity of participation, thought, and action. It is our aim, therefore, that our board, staff, and key stakeholders embrace these principles.
Great Lakes Science Center’s Facilities and Security (F&S) Technician helps keep the Science Center and S.S. William G. Mather Museum look and operate at its best, while also ensuring the safety of Great Lakes Science Center’s guests and visitors, employees, volunteers, vendors, partners, and property. The F&S Technician is responsible for general maintenance and repair as well as maintaining mechanical, electrical, and life safety systems. The F&S Technician also assists with the shipping and receiving area and assists with special events and security. This position will complete tasks, assignments, and projects per the direction of the Facilities and Security Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Will work directly with the Facilities and Security Manager and/or Director of Facilities and Security on tasks and projects
- Will perform electrical maintenance including, but not limited to replacing electrical receptacles, switches, fixtures, changing light ballasts and bulbs, install conduit, as well as observing wiring practices according to NEC and knowledgeable with LOTO
- Will perform mechanical maintenance including HVAC, turbine, solar systems, pumps, motors, etc.
- Will operate the HVAC automation system and GLSC’s work order program
- Will perform other duties as assigned, but not limited to hanging doors, replacing doorknobs, drywall repair, painting, general repairs, plumbing maintenance and repairs, etc.
- Will follow and report on a preventive maintenance schedule
- Will be responsible for life safety equipment and will be trained as a competent person to operate all life safety devices including the fire panel
- Will perform all duties and responsibilities in such a manner as to ensure the safety of the individual, guests and visitors, other employees, volunteers, vendors, partners, and property
- Will carry and be responsible for an issued set of security keys, a GLSC two-way radio, and the duty phone
- Will be responsible for setting up and striking special events and internal department setups
- Will include setting up chairs and tables throughout the building, including outside
- Will include setup of dance floor, tents, bike racks, benches, etc., including outside
- May be required to move furniture within the building to accommodate setups
- Will become CPR/AED & First Aid certified and will respond to any first aid or medical emergency calls
- Will be responsible for the opening and/or closing of the building or Steamship during public business hours, early opens, or after hours during special events
- Will respond to calls for security and calls for service, including access control (locking/unlocking doors)
- Will be responsible for facilitating emergency evacuation in conjunction with the F&S team and GLSC floor wardens, and will respond to indicated areas to assess situation (within reason to personal safety)
- Will operate and monitor security surveillance cameras
- Will complete all required security reports and documentation, in a complete and timely manner
- Will work directly with the Facilities and Security Officer – addressing any deficiencies found during the F&S Officer’s checks
- Will assist in identifying and correcting building, security, and life safety deficiencies
- Will self-initiate repairs and ordering supplies while in communication with management for approval
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Education and Work Experience Qualifications:
- High school diploma or general education degree. Graduation from a vocational school in related field preferred.
- At least two years previous Industrial or Commercial Maintenance experience.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications (K/S/A):
- Practical skill and knowledge in such areas as carpentry, plumbing, welding, and using various power and hand tools associated with such.
- 3000 lbs. tow motor certification and vertical lift system at time of employment or within six months of employment.
- Must be able to operate a computer to check emails; open and read itineraries and floor plans
- Must be able to complete word documents and electronic incident reports
- Must be able to fill out accident and incident reports accurately and completely
- Willing to become CPR/AED and First Aid certified
- Flexibility to work weekends, evenings, and early mornings a must. Work hours and schedule are determined by the hours, event scheduling, and peak visitation periods of Great Lakes Science Center.
Rate: $18 - $20/hour
Great Lakes Science Center is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All of your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.