Guest Engagement Specialist (Part-Time)
- Cleveland, OH, USA
At Great Lakes Science Center, we make science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) come alive to feed the inner sense of curiosity for guests of all ages. We believe in the value of using real scientific challenges through opportunities to invent, design, tinker and create to encourage curiosity and experimentation. The Science Center remains committed to developing informal science education programs that inspire young minds, improve STEM literacy and cultivate the creative, critical thinkers who will shape the future of Northeast Ohio.
Great Lakes Science Center embraces and encourages the unique attributes, characteristics and perspectives that make each person unique. We consider diversity and inclusion essential for institutional excellence and fulfillment of our vision - a community where all people value STEM to inform decision making and enrich lives. We believe our strength lies in the collective sum of individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, ingenuity, self-expression, and unique capabilities. Our employees, volunteers, guests, and partners bring and invest these strengths in their daily experiences at the Great Lakes Science Center. We champion an unending commitment to diversity of participation, thought, and action. It is our aim, therefore, that our board, staff, and key stakeholders embrace these principles.
The Great Lakes Science Center seeks a creative and resourceful Guest Engagement Specialist to work with a dynamic and diverse group of their peers, dedicated to enriching visitor engagement through inquiry-based learning. A Guest Engagement Specialist is expected to deliver high-quality, exciting, and fun programs that include but are not limited to: interpretive programming inside Great Lakes Science Center, NASA Glenn Visitor Center, and on the Steamship William G. Mather, Maker activities and workshops, scientific demonstrations, theatrical shows, activity carts, and other guest experiences. This is a part time position which reports to the Guest Engagement Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Delivers programs such as informal visitor engagement, public demonstrations, school workshops, etc.
• Engages guests in traveling exhibitions
• Engages guests on Steamship
• Assists with group greeting
• Demonstrates enthusiastic and positive attitude with willingness to learn
• Models best practices in informal education and visitor engagement
• Actively deliver visitor programs while modeling the highest standards in professionalism, inquiry-based and hands-on techniques, interpersonal communication, and guest service philosophy to create a superior visitor experience for Science Center guests
• Perform daily operational duties
• May represent the Science Center at off-site programs, including but not limited to outreach programs, science fairs, community events, etc. Communicate knowledgeably about current Science Center programs, policies, and procedures to be a positive and enthusiastic spokesperson for Science Center programs, exhibits, and mission
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
Please note that this position requires working outdoors for prolonged periods in varied weather conditions, frequently climbing narrow stairwells and occasionally lifting heavy objects such as supply bins and demonstration props. It may also include working with chemicals and gases including but not limited to liquid nitrogen, dry ice, nitric acid, hydrogen, and oxygen. Training will be provided. Please also note that this position requires weekend, holiday, and evening hours to meet the needs of Science Center operations. Scheduled hours will vary seasonally; therefore ideal candidates must be flexible to accommodate needs.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice
• High School Diploma or equivalent. Preferably a bachelor’s degree (or pursuing) in science, education, theater or related field of study.
Pay Rate - $11/hour
It is the policy of GLSC to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) free from illegal discrimination, harassment and retaliation to all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religious affiliation, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, immigration status, age, source of income, familial status, marital status, veteran or military status, genetic information, disability or any other basis protected by applicable law. GLSC complies with applicable state, federal and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.