- Cleveland, OH, USA
At Great Lakes Science Center, we make science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) come alive to feed the inner sense of curiosity for guests of all ages. We believe in the value of using real scientific challenges through opportunities to invent, design, tinker and create to encourage curiosity and experimentation. The Science Center remains committed to developing informal science education programs that inspire young minds, improve STEM literacy and cultivate the creative, critical thinkers who will shape the future of Northeast Ohio.
Great Lakes Science Center embraces and encourages the unique attributes, characteristics and perspectives that make each person unique. We consider diversity and inclusion essential for institutional excellence and fulfillment of our vision - a community where all people value STEM to inform decision making and enrich lives. We believe our strength lies in the collective sum of individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, ingenuity, self-expression, and unique capabilities. Our employees, volunteers, guests, and partners bring and invest these strengths in their daily experiences at the Great Lakes Science Center. We champion an unending commitment to diversity of participation, thought, and action. It is our aim, therefore, that our board, staff, and key stakeholders embrace these principles.
The Exhibit Technician provides technical and general support in the design, build and maintenance of Science Center exhibits. As such, this person is responsible for the installation and de-installation of audio/visual elements within our exhibits. The Exhibit Technician works with all team members, and may need to assist with rental AV needs as well as cross-train with other Exhibit Technicians.
We are looking for an Exhibit Technician that can help bring our exhibits into the future through creative problem-solving, thoughtful ideation, and a passion for innovative and engaging interactives. The ideal candidate will be familiar with or interested in learning how to diagnose and repair relays, media players, interactive displays, and simple to medium circuits. They will also be adept at Windows and Mac computer set up, diagnosis and repair. Tinkering is a plus and creativity is a must!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Troubleshoot and remedy exhibit mechanical and electrical problems.
- Troubleshoot and remedy exhibit general computer, BrightSign, and CMS problems.
- Troubleshoot and remedy exhibit A/V problems.
- Assist in the installation of overhead and specialty exhibit lighting.
- Perform daily and preventive maintenance of exhibit electronics.
- Establish preventive maintenance schedule.
- Assist with the set-up, break down and monitoring of AV needs (speakers, projectors, sound board, etc.) for special events, including private building rentals and internal GLSC events
- Daily start-up and shutdown of individual exhibits and exhibit areas.
- Assist in the installation and de-installation of temporary special exhibitions.
- Assist in the installation of new permanent exhibitions.
- Assist in the general cleaning and upkeep of permanent exhibits.
- Assist with the research for special and permanent exhibitions.
- Order parts.
- Prepare condition reports as needed.
- Occasional errands, including pick up of supplies and delivery tasks.
- Keep an orderly and safe work area.
- Assist in the organization of parts supplies and tools.
- Assist in other areas of the exhibit's program as assigned by the VP of Exhibits, or President of the Science Center.
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
This job operates in a professional office environment. Most of your work will be indoors. This job may require some work in cramped spaces or awkward positions while placing equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; bend and kneel; use hands to handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. This position requires the ability to lift any items needed for special events, up to 40 pounds; and be able to push or pull minimum of 175 pounds.
Education and Work Experience Qualifications:
- Associates or Bachelor’s Degree preferred, or equivalent relevant work experience
- Fork Lift and Scissors Lift certification preferred
- Training and experience working with Bench Tools
Additional Eligibility Qualifications (K/S/A):
- Innovative thinking and team problem solving skills.
- Working knowledge of computers.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Efficient time management and ability to work under deadlines.
- Attention to detail
- Salary - $46,000 annually
- Great Lakes Science Center offers a range of benefits including health care, employee discounts, 403(b) retirement savings plan, paid time off and more!
It is the policy of GLSC to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) free from illegal discrimination, harassment and retaliation to all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religious affiliation, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, immigration status, age, source of income, familial status, marital status, veteran or military status, genetic information, disability or any other basis protected by applicable law. GLSC complies with applicable state, federal and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
Great Lakes Science Center is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All of your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.