Facilities and Security Attendant (Part Time)
- Cleveland, OH, USA
At Great Lakes Science Center, we make science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) come alive to feed the inner sense of curiosity for guests of all ages. We believe in the value of using real scientific challenges through opportunities to invent, design, tinker and create to encourage curiosity and experimentation. The Science Center remains committed to developing informal science education programs that inspire young minds, improve STEM literacy and cultivate the creative, critical thinkers who will shape the future of Northeast Ohio.
Great Lakes Science Center embraces and encourages the unique attributes, characteristics and perspectives that make each person unique. We consider diversity and inclusion essential for institutional excellence and fulfillment of our vision - a community where all people value STEM to inform decision making and enrich lives. We believe our strength lies in the collective sum of individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, ingenuity, self-expression, and unique capabilities. Our employees, volunteers, guests, and partners bring and invest these strengths in their daily experiences at the Great Lakes Science Center. We champion an unending commitment to diversity of participation, thought, and action. It is our aim, therefore, that our board, staff, and key stakeholders embrace these principles.
Facilities and Security (F&S) Attendant is responsible for the safety and security of Great Lakes Science Center’s guests and visitors, employees, volunteers, vendors, partners, and property. The F&S Attendant is also tasked with the duty of setting up and breaking down special events and internal department requests, including, but not limited to table and chair deployment and strike. The F&S Attendant will assist the facilities department when requested. This person has the ability to recognize and meet the needs of life safety code, work in a professional manner, and multi-task during emergency situations. This position will also complete tasks, assignments, and projects per the direction of the Facilities Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Setting up and striking special events and internal department setups
- Will include setting up chairs and tables throughout the building, including outside
- May include setup of dance floor, tents, bike racks, benches, etc., including outside
- May be required to move furniture within the building to accommodate setups
- Turn on and off lights and exhibits throughout the building and Steamship Mather.
- Will be trained how to properly start, stop and reset escalators
- Act as a competent person to operate all life safety devices including the fire panel
- Regularly patrol GLSC property, interior and exterior
- Carry and be responsible for a set of security keys, a GLSC two-way radio, and the duty phone
- Become CPR/AED & First Aid certified and will respond to any first aid or medical emergency calls
- Responsible for the opening and/or closing of the building during public business hours, early mornings or after hours during special events
- Respond to calls for security and calls for service, including access control (locking/unlocking doors)
- Responsible for facilitating emergency evacuation in conjunction with the F&S team and GLSC floor wardens, and will respond to indicated areas to assess situation (within reason to personal safety)
- Operate and monitor security surveillance cameras
- Complete all required security reports and documentation, in a complete and timely manner
- Follow and implement GLSC’s Emergency Action Plans
- Follow the direction of the F&S Manager when the department director is not on-site
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
This position operates in a professional environment and interacts directly with guests. Due to the nature of the job, the employee must maintain professionalism during all interactions with guests and visitors, employees, volunteers, contractors, partners, and vendors, which may be in high-stress situations. (Example: Solving confrontations or assisting with a medical emergency.) Must always remain objective.
This job works inside and outside, year-round. Due to the potential for outdoor work, particularly on the historic Steamship Mather, this role may experience warm temperatures during the spring/summer operating season.
The Facilities and Security (F&S) department is team orientated. This role will also require early mornings, late evenings, weekends, and overnights. Due to the operations of the department and organization, F&S staff work during holidays. Due to the operations of the building, a weekly schedule may be provided as late as a week prior for this department.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, write, and type. The employee frequently is required to stand on post; walk/respond in a professional manner to emergency calls, use hands to handle, and reach with hands and arms. This position requires the ability to lift items needed for special events, up to 50 pounds; and be able to push or pull minimum of 200 pounds.
Education and Work Experience Qualifications:
- High school diploma or GED
- 1 year of security experience preferred
Additional Eligibility Qualifications (K/S/A):
- Must be able to operate a computer to check emails; open and read itineraries and floor plans
- Must be able to complete word documents and electronic incident reports
- Must be able to fill out accident and incident reports accurately and completely
- Willing to become CPR/AED and First Aid certified
- Availability to work weekends, evenings, or early mornings is required. Work hours and schedules are determined by the hours, event scheduling, and peak visitation periods of Great Lakes Science Center.
Base rate - $16.30/hour
It is the policy of GLSC to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) free from illegal discrimination, harassment and retaliation to all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religious affiliation, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, immigration status, age, source of income, familial status, marital status, veteran or military status, genetic information, disability or any other basis protected by applicable law. GLSC complies with applicable state, federal and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
Great Lakes Science Center is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All of your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.