- Cleveland, OH, USA
At Great Lakes Science Center, we make science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) come alive to feed the inner sense of curiosity for guests of all ages. We believe in the value of using real scientific challenges through opportunities to invent, design, tinker and create to encourage curiosity and experimentation. The Science Center remains committed to developing informal science education programs that inspire young minds, improve STEM literacy and cultivate the creative, critical thinkers who will shape the future of Northeast Ohio.
The Great Lakes Science Center seeks a creative and resourceful Outreach Specialist to work with a dynamic and diverse group of their peers, dedicated to providing an engaging experience to a diverse audience through inquiry-based learning. An Outreach Specialist is expected to deliver high-quality, exciting, and fun programs that include but are not limited to: in-school/after school programs and community outreach opportunities. This is a part time position which reports to the STEM Operations Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Delivers programs using experimental and inquiry based learning at schools, libraries, recreation centers and events
- Manages classroom behavior with diverse audiences
- Demonstrates enthusiastic and positive attitude with willingness to learn
- Models best practices in informal education
- Perform daily operational duties
- Communicate knowledgeably about current Science Center programs, policies, and procedures to be a positive and enthusiastic spokesperson for Science Center programs, exhibits, and mission
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice
- Must be able to provide own transportation to locations
Education and Work Experience Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or equivalent. Preferably a bachelor’s degree (or pursuing) in science, education, or related field of study.
- Experience working with students in an urban setting is preferred.
- Experience working in a classroom (formal or informal) is preferred.
Salary: $9 - $11 per hour
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
Please note that this position requires working outdoors for prolonged periods in varied weather conditions, frequently climbing narrow stairwells and occasionally lifting heavy objects such as supply bins and demonstration props. It may also include working with chemicals and gases including but not limited to liquid nitrogen, dry ice, nitric acid, hydrogen, and oxygen. Training will be provided. Please also note that this position requires weekend, holiday, and evening hours to meet the needs of Science Center operations. Scheduled hours will vary seasonally; therefore ideal candidates must be flexible to accommodate needs.
Great Lakes Science Center is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All of your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.