- Cleveland, Ohio, United States
At Great Lakes Science Center, we make science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) come alive to feed the inner sense of curiosity for guests of all ages. We believe in the value of using real scientific challenges through opportunities to invent, design, tinker and create to encourage curiosity and experimentation. The Science Center remains committed to developing informal science education programs that inspire young minds, improve STEM literacy and cultivate the creative, critical thinkers who will shape the future of Northeast Ohio.
The Staff Accountant is an integral member of the Finance department. The individual is responsible for processing, reconciling, and maintaining files for all museum cash receipts, receivables, and associated revenue information. The Staff Accountant assists with revenue and expense compilations for grant and project reporting. Additionally the Staff Accountant provides back-up support for the Accounts Payable/Payroll Coordinator.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare daily deposits for all cash/checks received via mail by administrative area office staff
- Verify, reconcile and post daily cash receipts for all cash activities in all areas of the museum and prepare monthly journal entries of those cash receipts. Assure prompt receipt of all daily cash activity reports from all areas of the museum
- Reconcile all deposits to daily bank reports and promptly identify and resolve any discrepancies.
- Track contribution pledge payments and prepare monthly pledges receivable schedules for the Development department
- Obtain, review and summarize monthly cash reconciliations for all cash activities in all areas of the museum
- Reconcile monthly statements and prepare associated reports for all contract revenue – currently, Food Services, Store, and Parking Garage
- Prepare monthly contract revenue journal entry list
- Reconcile and prepare monthly miscellaneous accounts receivable schedule
- Initiate invoicing, monitor and maintain all receivable files and collect on all miscellaneous outstanding receivables (does not include contribution or education group receivables)
- Reconcile and prepare monthly deferred revenue schedule
- Prepare year-end receivable and cash closing schedules and journal entries in association with audit information preparation
- Review, verify, and post invoices entered by Accounts Payable/Payroll Coordinator
- Review, approve, and process weekly check run
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Education and Work Experience Qualifications:
- College degree and 3-5 years general accounting or equivalent experience
- Non-profit experience preferred
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
- General PC and MS Office proficiency with a high level expertise in Excel usage (F9 program, macros and pivot tables)
- Experience with accounting software (Financial Edge)
- Proficiency and accuracy with numbers and data entry – essential to processing and posting cash receipts and reconciling Museum revenue correctly and on time
- Strong communication skills with an enthusiastic and helpful attitude – essential to effectively communicate with Museum staff members and outside vendors
- Strong organization skills – essential to timely processing and effective maintenance of all cash receipts and related revenue information and completion of projects of within specified time frames
- Attention to detail – essential in a finance-related position
- Ability to prioritize work assignments according to established timetables and management directives
- Ability to work independently within a team setting
Salary: $1,750 - $2075 paid semi-monthly
Great Lakes Science Center is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All of your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.