- Cleveland, OH, United States
At Great Lakes Science Center, we make science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) come alive to feed the inner sense of curiosity for guests of all ages. We believe in the value of using real scientific challenges through opportunities to invent, design, tinker and create to encourage curiosity and experimentation. The Science Center remains committed to developing informal science education programs that inspire young minds, improve STEM literacy and cultivate the creative, critical thinkers who will shape the future of Northeast Ohio.
Great Lakes Science Center is seeking a Facilities Technician to help keep the Science Center and S.S. William G. Mather Museum look and operate at its best for our employees and guests. The Facilities Technician is responsible for general maintenance and repair as well as maintaining mechanical and electrical systems. The Facilities Technician also assists with the shipping and receiving area and assists with special events and security as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Perform electrical maintenance including but not limited to replacing electrical receptacles, switches, fixtures, changing light ballasts and bulbs, install conduit as well as wiring practices according to NEC and knowledgeable with LOTO
- Perform mechanical maintenance including HVAC, turbine, solar systems, pumps, motors, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned but not limited to hanging doors, replacing door knobs, drywall repair, painting, general repairs, etc.
- Responsible for life safety equipment and will be trained as a competent person to operate all life safety devices including the fire panel
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in such a manner as to ensure the safety of the individual, other GLSC employees, and guests.
- Will be responsible for setting up and striking special events and internal department setups
- Will include setting up chairs and tables throughout the building, including outside
- May include setup of dance floor, tents, bike racks, benches, etc.
- May be required to move furniture within the building to accommodate setups
- Will carry and be responsible for an issued set of security keys, a GLSC two-way radio, and the duty phone
- Will become CPR/AED & First Aid certified and will respond to any first aid or medical emergency calls; assisting security or as needed
- Will assist security in opening and closing the building and Mather as needed
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Education and Work Experience Qualifications:
- High school diploma or general education degree. Graduation from a vocational school in related field preferred.
- At least two years previous Industrial or Commercial Maintenance experience.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications (K/S/A):
- Practical skill and knowledge in such areas as advanced electrical work, carpentry, plumbing, and using various power and hand tools associated with such.
- 3000 lbs. tow motor certification and vertical lift system at time of employment or within six months of employment.
- Flexibility to work weekends, evenings, and early mornings a must. Work hours and schedule are determined by the hours, event scheduling, and peak visitation periods of Great Lakes Science Center.
Salary: $17.65 hour
Expected Hours of Work: Saturday through Wednesday afternoon/nights. Schedule may vary.
*This position may require individual to work into the early morning.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements: Please note that this position requires occasionally working outdoors for prolonged periods in varied weather conditions, climbing narrow stairwells and ladders, and lifting heavy objects. This position requires extended periods of standing, stooping, and reaching to maintain and inspect equipment. This position works in environments with excessive noise requiring ear protection and occasional respiratory protection. This position may work in the general public and a professional demeanor is required at all times.
Great Lakes Science Center is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All of your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.