Special Events Assistant (Part Time)
- Cleveland, OH
At Great Lakes Science Center, we make science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) come alive to feed the inner sense of curiosity for guests of all ages. We believe in the value of using real scientific challenges through opportunities to invent, design, tinker and create to encourage curiosity and experimentation. The Science Center remains committed to developing informal science education programs that inspire young minds, improve STEM literacy and cultivate the creative, critical thinkers who will shape the future of Northeast Ohio.
The Special Events Assistant (SEA) provides pressure point relief in the Sales & Special Events office so the Sales and Special Events Manager (SSEM) can focus on marketing and selling the event space at Great Lakes Science Center. The SEA provides administrative support to the SSEM and ensures each potential client knows their business is important to the museum. During high‐volume periods, this position may also provide some sales and marketing support, under the direction of the SSEM
- High school diploma or higher; 1 to 2 years related experience and/or training in event operations/coordination, event sales, catering or hotel sales; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proficient inMicrosoft Office, internet and email.
- Must be able to effectively work with a variety of internal and external customers and staff.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to read, write, comprehend, and carry out complex instructions, correspondence and memos.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other departments and leaders to complete tasks and day to day operations.
- Ability to meet deadlines and effectively manage multiple priorities in a demanding work environment.
- Required to occasionally lift up to 25 pounds.ns:
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provides critical administrative support to the SE office, including faxing, filing, making copies, mailings, and other general administrative work.
- Receive and finalize contracts within the sales system and assist with collection of event deposits and payments.
- Assist in maintaining event archives.
- Takes incoming guest calls as a backup when the SSEM is busy, taking down important information and referring the guest’s needs to the SSEM.
- Perform client site visits in the absence of he SSEM.
- Organize marketing materials needed for client site visits, confirm appointments and send instructions for parking and arrival.
- During high volume periods, follow up on leads identified by the SSEM. This will include checking availability, responding to online event inquiries, and giving our clients an overview of hosting a private event at the museum.
- Assist in executing local marketing plans, under the direction of the SSEM.
- Go above & beyond to ensure the needs of each special events guest are met, processing paperwork in a timely manner, following up on questions, and working behind the scenes to make sure the SE team and operations are set up for success.
- Performs the function of event lead in the absence of the SSEM; ensures event details are executed according to floor plan and itinerary.
- Coordinates details with supporting event vendors; caterer, DJ, photographer, florist, etc.
- Assists marketing department with other various tasks or office duties.
- Flexible work schedule; days, nights and weekends.