Manufacturing/Industrial Engineer (7+ years experience required)
- Terre Haute, IN, USA
Great Dane Trailers, typically referred to simply as Great Dane, is a manufacturer of truck dry van, refrigerated van and flatbed semi-trailers. Established in 1900 by J.P. Wheless and T.H. McMillan as the Savannah Blowpipe Company in Savannah, Georgia, it has gone on to become the world's largest manufacturer of commercial truck trailers.
The Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for working closely with plant personnel to resolve issues and improve processes. The position will work closely with both facility & Maintenance personnel as well as design engineers to develop solutions for process and design issues. The Manufacturing Engineer is also responsible for evaluating existing manufacturing processes and configuring manufacturing systems to reduce cost, improve sustainability and productivity and develop best practices within the production process. He/she is also responsible for supporting definition and implementing the Great Dane Trailers’ Production System (GDPS) to improve operational efficiencies.
This position will require the ability to analyze manufacturing processes, develop and implement process improvements, and validate any process changes that may be required.
- Implement, support and facilitate Lean Manufacturing principles to improve operational efficiencies and eliminate waste in a new dry freight van production facility.
- Lead change management and Kaizen initiatives in manufacturing by exemplifying lean principles and training the organization in lean manufacturing.
- Drive a continuous improvement culture through plant and facility organization, performance reviews and PDCA cycles on the shop floor.
- Formulate key performance indicator measurements during GDPS implementation, and simultaneously monitor progress and record data. Maintain a GDPS maturity index to ensure project development is achieving target implementation and organizational goals. Communicate results to management and provide recommendations.
- Continuously evaluate and improve assist plant in process improvement to eliminate waste, reduce costs, and improve safety and quality.
- Develop innovative solutions.
- Work with equipment designers and manufacturing officers to develop a cost-effective and working production process; selecting, managing and working with sub-contractors; Install and commission new production units, monitoring modifications and upgrades, and troubleshooting existing processes Research and purchase new manufacturing technology.
- Coordinate closely with all other involved departments including quality assurance, production, logistics, process engineering, etc.
- Provide suggestions during incident investigations.
- Advise on and implement corrective actions.
- Show results in reports.
- Ensure projects are completed on time and within financial budgets.
- Proficient knowledge of process and machine design.
- Proficient knowledge in PFMEA, Control Plan, Process Flow Diagram, Process Capability Cpk and Machine Capability.
- Knowledgeable in statistical analysis
- Knowledgeable about the current trailer manufacturing industry.
- Strong experience in implementing lean manufacturing systems similar to the Toyota Production System or similar principles, such as:
- Heijunka boards and production scheduling
- Milk run
- Value Stream Mapping (VSM) and Value Stream Design (VSD)
- Set-up time reduction, Quick Change Over
- Production leveling
- Experience in change management and in implementing cultural change.
- Experience in quality management systems and in quality system audits.
- Demonstrate a passion for continuous improvement, process efficiency and elimination of waste.
- High facilitation, presentation and effective communication skills.
- Highly effective decision maker: responsible, proactive and self-motivated.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Process Engineering, or other related Engineering degree
- 7+ years’ of Manufacturing engineering experience preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to design, install and troubleshoot manufacturing equipment
- Able to read and interpret prints
- Able to use AutoCad or similar system
- Familiarity with man machine time studies, standardized work, PFMEA, Control Plan, lean manufacturing and production systems, PLC Programming, fixture design, poka yoke, statistical process control, etc.
- Certificates in GLP, GMP, ISO, Six Sigma, and Lean Manufacturing are desired.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: Work solely in Terre Haute office. Frequent sitting and operating a computer
Work environment: Fast paced atmosphere with multiple priorities and constant change. Frequent exposure to production areas.
Travel: Potential visits to vendors, other plants, or corporate office
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.