Parts Manager - Olympia, WA
- 13232 Case Rd SW, Olympia, WA 98512, USA
The Gordon Truck Centers dealer family operates 12 commercial truck dealerships throughout Washington, Oregon and Hawaii. With over 70 years of trucking industry experience and over 30 years in the commercial truck dealership business, GTC is well established with the largest Freightliner and Western Star dealer network in the Pacific Northwest and Hawaii and the expertise and commitment to offer Elite Support to the trucking industry.
Freightliner Northwest's Parts Manager is responsible for the management, profitability and efficiency of the store Parts Department areas of responsibility including; proper purchasing procedures, inventory control, staff utilization, pricing, merchandising, displaying and advertising.
Examples of Essential Functions of the Job
- Manage the department P&L, control costs and create/implement profitability growth opportunities.
- Lead a staff of parts counter including phone sales, warehouse supervisor, warehouse lead, warehouse workers and parts delivery drivers to include; hiring, training, scheduling, payroll, retaining, coaching, setting and monitoring goals and ensuring acceptable performance.
- Implement systems and procedures to ensure the safety of all staff and company property.
- Conduct meetings with parts department employees to discuss activities and problems of mutual interest and to develop strategies for a more efficient operation.
- Design and maintain a staff cross-training program (tracking and documenting all tasks).
- Ensure all staff have completed their required monthly trainings in Absorb.
- Design and communicate career path growth for staff.
- Manage, monitor and maintain inventory control in order to minimize obsolescence and maintain healthy stock to include; cycle counting, zero location (no bin), inventory turns, obsolescence, purchasing, lost sales tracking, loss control, cores and warranty cores.
- Ensure vehicles and equipment are up to safe and working standards.
- Champion Elite Support Continuous Improvement initiatives to ensure parts procedures are efficient.
- Incorporate and maintain 5s to establish a clean and organized department; including the parts merchandising/lobby area.
- Initiate ongoing and effective communication between departments to ensure timely turnaround of parts needed and efficient process flow (parts is the supplier for all other departments).
- Build relationships with customers and handle customer complaints immediately and according to dealership guidelines.
- Develop, enforce and monitor guidelines for working with customers to ensure maximum customer satisfaction.
- Implement processes to continually promote sales specials to customers.
- Build and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with all vendors.
- Manage freight recovery for all freight carriers for inbound/outbound freight.
- Work with sales and corporate staff to set a pricing policy that balances volume, customer loyalty, and the cost of doing business.
- Collaborate with leadership to establish department goals and utilize project management tools to meet deadlines.
- Communicate on a regular basis to upper management successes, failures and needs of the department.
- Other duties as business needs require (i.e. assist counter team and phones at busy times).
Education: College degree or equivalent or relevant on the job experience preferred.
Experience: Minimum of 4 yrs parts management or equivalent experience required.
Skills that are representative of the job: Solid working knowledge of dealership level parts department. Proven leadership skills. Must be professional and safety minded at all times. Excellent communication both verbal and written, as well as listening skills. Good customer service skills. Ability to prioritize and multi-task. Able to work with minimal supervision and direction. Ability to work independently as well as part of a team. Proficient in the following systems: Procede, DTNAConnect, PartsPro, Paragon, Power BI Reporting, Cummins, CAT and Absorb.
Hours and Shift: This position is Monday- Friday dayshift, must have shift flexiblity to meet business needs.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
All offers of employment are made contingent upon successfully passing a pre-employment drug screen and criminal background check. A motor vehicle records check is also required for positions with driving responsibilities. Parts personnel may occasionally lift up to 75 pounds.