IT Specialist / Developer / Architect Field Support Officer
- Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh, kh
ABOUT GOOD RETURN
Good Return’s mission is to enable those living in poverty to achieve economic empowerment. We do this by working in partnerships that innovate and strengthen financial services and provide economic opportunities for those living in poverty across the Asia Pacific Region.
Our work focuses on promoting responsible inclusive finance, building financial capability & consumer empowerment, and developing smallholder agribusiness solutions. We also deliver interest free loan capital raised from the Australian public. Together these powerful tools empower people to create lasting change for themselves.
Good Return is an initiative of World Education Australia, an international development agency accredited by Australian Aid and a member of the Australian Council for International Development (ACFID). Good Return has no religious affiliations. Visit www.goodreturn.org.au for more information.
ABOUT OUR PARTNERS
We have been working in partnership with various Financial Service Providers across the Asia Pacific Region since 2010. Our current partners are located in Cambodia, Nepal, Laos, Philippines, Solomon Islands, Fiji, Tonga & Samoa.
Our partnerships are based on a shared mission to provide responsible microfinance services to people living in poverty as well as build the financial capability of their clients. Our partners are committed to improving their social performance management systems, which includes implementing the seven client protection principles. For more information Social Performance Management & Client Protection:
Please visit our website (www.goodreturn.org.au) for further information on our partners.
FSO Program Objectives
The objectives of the Field Support Officer (FSO) Volunteer Program are for FSOs to:
- Gain valuable experience living and working in a developing country as part of a professional team
- Assist with the implementation of Good Return and partner objectives and specific programs
- Strengthen relationships with partners by enhancing communication and coordination
- Support Good Return’s communications and marketing
The FSO Program has enabled previous volunteers to build their careers in the international development sector, with a number now in paid roles both in Australia and overseas.
1. Digital tools:
- Development, design and maintenance of interactive learning apps, learning website components, reporting and monitoring tools, data service APIs, peer lending platform components
- Training about and documentation of the solutions developed, including support in the remote field locations
2. Support & IT Strategy
- Organise and manage support service (helpdesk, hotline, etc.) for tool users.
- Based on your experience and in coordination with the Sydney based IT Lead, possibility to contribute to the Good Return technology strategy and advising the organisation on technology topics
- Based on your experience possibility to manage parts of internally sourced and/or outsourced technology implementations
- Other responsibilities as developed during the needs of the program during the year, depending on your skills, experience and desire
You must be an Australian citizen or have permanent residency to apply for this position. Applicants not meeting this requirement will not be considered.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Preferably hold a tertiary qualification in computer or software engineering or similar fields, or alternatively acquired the relevant skills in the workplace
- Have 2-5+ years Software Development and/or IT Specialist experience, for a more experienced person it would be possible to focus the role more on implementation management, design and architecture
- Be a confident programmer with one or more languages
- Fluent with HTML/CSS and other Web technologies
- Understand software architectures and design patterns
- Have experience with software development tools, processes and methodologies (such as Agile)
- Independent living or travel experience, preferably in a developing country
- Self-motivation and desire to learn
- Have strong communication & team work skills
- Experience working in a cross-cultural context, especially within teams
DESIRABLE SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience living and working in a developing country (preferably in the Asia Pacific region)
- Knowledge of/experience in monitoring and evaluation
- Foreign language skills (especially Asia Pacific languages)
ESSENTIAL PERSONAL QUALITIES
- Independence and resilience
- Cross-cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Patience, tolerance and open-mindedness
- Responsible (for own actions, upholding integrity)
- Initiative and ability to adapt to isolated settings with limited resources
- A sense of humour!
ALLOWANCES AND SUPPORT
- Induction training at Sydney office (4 days)
- Health check and vaccination expenses
- Visa expenses
- International airfares at the commencement and conclusion of the assignment
- Initial accommodation arranged; it is the responsibility of the FSO to secure long-term accommodation
- First 2 monthly allowance payments paid in advance to assist with set-up costs in-country
- Orientation support (negotiating lease agreements, shopping options, etc.)
- Support, monitoring and security guidance from Supervisor and Good Return regional & Sydney offices
- Monthly allowance (to cover living and accommodation expenses)
- Language allowance
- Travel insurance
- Professional development opportunities
- Debrief following conclusion of placement
The placement will commence in-country in July 2019. Applicants must be available for a four day induction course (held in May 2019 at Good Return’s Sydney office), prior to the commencement of their placement. Later commencement dates and/or periods of less than 12 months will not be considered.
Good Return will provide international airfares, certain pre-departure medical costs, visa expenses, insurance and a monthly living allowance (including accommodation costs).
How to apply:
Applications can be submitted by selecting the 'I'm interested' link below.
Applicants should provide a CV and a cover letter that clearly states your Australian citizenship/permanent residency status, and addresses the selection criteria listed in the full position description, along with your phone and Skype contact details. Cover letters can be included in the messages section or uploaded together with a CV file.
Please indicate in your cover letter which role/s you wish to be considered for, but apply only for your preferred role (you do not need to submit multiple applications).
We would love to hear how you heard about the position.
Enquiries can be directed via the Good Return website https://www.goodreturn.org.au/contact
Applications close: COB Monday 11 February 2019
Note: Interviews are expected to start late February/early March. It is still possible to apply after that date.
Note: Good Return is a child safe organisation. The successful candidate will be required to comply with our child protection policy and will be subject to pre-hire checks.