Impact Investment Field Support Officer (Cambodia and Indonesia)
- Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh, kh
ABOUT GOOD RETURN
Good Return’s mission is to enable those living in poverty to achieve economic empowerment. We do this by working in partnerships that innovate and strengthen financial services and provide economic opportunities for those living in poverty across the Asia Pacific Region.
Our work focuses on promoting responsible inclusive finance, building financial capability & consumer empowerment, and developing smallholder agribusiness solutions. We also deliver interest free loan capital raised from the Australian public. Together these powerful tools empower people to create lasting change for themselves.
Good Return is an initiative of World Education Australia, an international development agency accredited by Australian Aid and a member of the Australian Council for International Development (ACFID). Good Return has no religious affiliations. Visit www.goodreturn.org.au for more information.
ABOUT OUR PARTNERS
We have been working in partnership with various Financial Service Providers across the Asia Pacific Region since 2010. Our current partners are located in Cambodia, Nepal, Laos, Philippines, Solomon Islands, Fiji, Tonga & Samoa.
Our partnerships are based on a shared mission to provide responsible microfinance services to people living in poverty as well as build the financial capability of their clients. Our partners are committed to improving their social performance management systems, which includes implementing the seven client protection principles. For more information Social Performance Management & Client Protection:
Please visit our website (www.goodreturn.org.au) for further information on our partners.
FSO Program Objectives
The objectives of the Field Support Officer (FSO) Volunteer Program are for FSOs to:
- Gain valuable experience living and working in a developing country as part of a professional team
- Assist with the implementation of Good Return and partner objectives and specific programs
- Strengthen relationships with partners by enhancing communication and coordination
- Support Good Return’s communications and marketing
The FSO Program has enabled previous volunteers to build their careers in the international development sector, with a number now in paid roles both in Australia and overseas.
The impact Investment FSO is responsible for supporting Good Return’s impact investment activities in Indonesia or Cambodia. The role will support identification, due diligence and business advisory support to investees, development of relationships in the sector as well as monitoring and oversight of investments and partners.
- Support to identify social enterprises for the impact investment program
- Support to complete due diligence activities on identified social enterprises
- Support enterprises to be investment ready
- Support negotiating with the in-country banks for mutually beneficial outcomes
- Support gender lens investing activities including completing gender value chain analysis and gender organisational self-assessment
- Coordinate and support relationships with enterprises, banks and other stakeholders
- Support coordination with technical partners to support enterprises to grow and enhance their business model
- Collect social impact data and monitor progress; support reporting activities as required
- Collect photos, video and case studies of social enterprise/s to support the development of an investment prospectus that highlights the enterprise profile
- Research, identify and follow up on funding opportunities – contacts, web search, etc. according to Good Return strategy and mission/vision
- Coordinate funding proposal writing – submit proposals to funders
- Support partnership creations and follow up
- Occasional production of short blogs, photographs and/or video for the Good Return website or social media
- Other responsibilities as needed during the year
You must be an Australian citizen or have permanent residency to apply for this position. Applicants not meeting this requirement will not be considered.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Must be experienced and comfortable working in Word, Powerpoint, and Excel
- Hold a degree in Business/Finance, International Development or similar
- At least 1 year of work experience (paid or unpaid) relevant to Good Return’s program areas, such as international development, finance/banking or adult education
- Strong written & verbal communication skills, including report writing and ability to adapt communication style for various stakeholders (proposal writing experience highly desired)
- Experience in conducting monitoring & evaluation activities
- Independent living or travel experience, preferably in a developing country
- Self-motivation and desire to learn
- Proactive and able to work under limited supervision
- Experience working in a cross-cultural context, especially in teams
- Comfort in using digital communication channels (such as online collaboration tools, instant messaging and social media)
DESIRABLE SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Knowledge in financial modelling and analysis
- Strong analytical abilities, both qualitative and quantitative.
- Ability to present information in an insightful and structured manner, both written and oral.
- Entrepreneurial mindset; self-starter comfortable working in a dynamic environment.
- Professional communication skills in English; additional languages highly desirable.
- A desire to work in a collaborative, high-performing team environment, building relationships with other team members and managing a range of responsibilities.
- A team player, with a passion for entrepreneurship and market-based solutions to poverty, and an understanding of the challenges of investing in the markets we serve.
- Positive and self-motivated attitude.
- Hold a post-graduate degree in Business/Finance, International Development or similar.
- Experience living and working in a developing country.
- Knowledge of international funders/donors.
ESSENTIAL PERSONAL QUALITIES
- Independence and resilience
- Cross-cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Patience, tolerance and open-mindedness
- Responsible (for own actions, upholding integrity)
- Initiative and ability to adapt to isolated settings with limited resources
- A sense of humour!
ALLOWANCES AND SUPPORT
- Induction training at the Sydney office (4 days)
- Health check and vaccination expenses
- Visa expenses
- International airfares at the commencement and conclusion of the assignment
- Initial accommodation arranged; it is the responsibility of the FSO to secure long-term accommodation
- First 2 monthly allowance payments paid in advance to assist with set-up costs in-country
- Orientation support (negotiating lease agreements, shopping options, etc.)
- Support, monitoring and security guidance from Supervisor and Good Return regional & Sydney offices
- Monthly allowance (to cover living and accommodation expenses)
- Language allowance
- Travel insurance
- Professional development opportunities
- Debrief following the conclusion of placement
The placement will commence in-country in July 2019. Applicants must be available for a four day induction course (held in May 2019 at Good Return’s Sydney office), prior to the commencement of their placement. Later commencement dates and/or periods of less than 12 months will not be considered.
Good Return will provide international airfares, certain pre-departure medical costs, visa expenses, insurance and a monthly living allowance (including accommodation costs).
How to apply:
Applications can be submitted by selecting the 'I'm interested' link below.
Applicants should provide a CV and a cover letter that clearly states your Australian citizenship/permanent residency status, and addresses the selection criteria listed in the full position description, along with your phone and Skype contact details. Cover letters can be included in the messages section or uploaded together with a CV file.
Please indicate in your cover letter which role/s you wish to be considered for, but apply only for your preferred role (you do not need to submit multiple applications).
We would love to hear how you heard about the position.
Enquiries can be directed via the Good Return website https://www.goodreturn.org.au/contact
Applications close: COB Monday 28 January 2019
Note: Interviews are expected to start early February. It is still possible to apply after that date.
Note: Good Return is a child safe organisation. The successful candidate will be required to comply with our child protection policy and will be subject to pre-hire checks.