+ Licensed Practical Nurse, LPN Internal Medicine Clinic, WRNMMC, MD
- 8901 Wisconsin Ave, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Godwin Corporation provides experienced and committed health care personnel and related health care services to the federal government and private industry. EEO www.godwincorp.com
Outstanding Licensed Practical Nurse, LPN Internal Medicine Clinic Opportunity at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.
Come Join Our Team of exceptional health care providers at WRNMMC and experience the immense pride others have discovered in caring for Military Members, their Families and Retired Military Veterans!
* Elevate your career by applying for our LPN Internal Medicine Clinic opportunity at WRNMMC!
* Excellent Compensation & Comprehensive Benefits!
* Full Time Position Days, Monday-Friday!
* NO Weekends! NO Call!
* PTO! & 10 Paid Federal Holidays!
* Malpractice Insurance Provided!
POSITION SUMMARY: LPNs will take direction from team Registered Nurses, Group Practice Managers, and Service Chiefs as required in maintaining a safe environment for staff and patient(s), and are expected to communicate problems or issues up the chain in proper order. The Registered Nurse on each clinical team is in charge of the team and gives instruction and delegates work assignments to team members. The RN and entire team report to the Group Practice Manager. The Group Practice Managers in turn work with the Internal Medicine Service Chief and Assistant Service Chief to establish or revise clinic protocols and standard operating procedures.
SPECIFIC DUTIES/TASKS THE LPN SHALL PERFORM BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
* Coordinate patient care through a continuum and facilitate the achievement of optimal outcomes in relation to care, quality and cost effectiveness.
* Maintain excellent patient assessment skills. Use the nursing process as a basis for professional practice. The contracted LPN will demonstrate proper preparation of patient’s for treatments and procedures, to include surgical interventions.
* Perform/assist with clinic specific procedures, in accordance with established policies, and guidelines used in the MTF and IAW JC guidelines. Supervise all contractor paraprofessionals necessary in the care and treatment of the patient.
* Skill in setting up, operating and monitoring specialized medical equipment such as IV infusion pumps, cardiac monitoring devices, EKG units, oxygen analyzers, nebulizers and other clinic specific equipment.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills for patient/family education. Prescribes and communicates treatment plans in accordance with provider/RN direction established clinic protocols.
* Knowledge of a variety of pharmacological agents used in patient treatment, the desired effects, side effects, and complications of their use as well as the accurate administration of the pharmacologic agent, including dosage calculations as required. Will be knowledgeable in administrative requirements for the documentation of patient's condition, progress and acknowledgement of teaching, and follow up care. LPN is expected to look up and learn about medications to be given with which he/she is unfamiliar prior to administration.
* Demonstrate excellent written communication skills to perform accurate documentation, both written and electronic, of all activity in accordance with requirements.
* Demonstrated ability to recognize adverse signs and symptoms and reacts quickly and appropriately in emergency situations. Must have the ability to obtain, assess, and report critical lab or diagnostic results to patient’s physician in a timely manner.
* Demonstrated ability to act on all medical and therapeutic orders in a timely manner.
* Can demonstrate and adhere to peri-operative, infection control and safety policies and procedures used in t the MTF and IAW JC guidelines.
* Schedules appointments, arranges for procedures, and performs telephone. /email follow-up, as appropriate. Review and appropriately disposition all incoming phone and secure e-mail messages from patients to clinical team in accordance with clinic standard operating procedures, including but not limited to requests for medications, lab or radiology results, referrals, and appointments, complaints of new symptoms, and administrative issues.
* Can demonstrate good time management skills and effectively multi-task between in-person clinical Care and administrative computer and telephone-based duties in a high-pace work environment.
* Input data and clinical information into the medical record and retrieve requested information such as laboratory, radiology, and procedure results. Maintain knowledge of all resources included in the clinic and educate patients about them appropriately.
* Ensure compliance with standard of care and practice in accordance with all established policies, procedures, and guidelines used in the medical treatment MTF and IAW JC guidelines. Provides care within ethical and legal boundaries.
* Complete orientation and competency verification programs in accordance with unit guidelines.
* When assigned, will serve and participate in committees, functions and other meetings. Provide relevant and timely information, and assists with decision- making and process improvement.
* When required, participate in the orientation, training, and evaluation of duty performance of newly assigned personnel, as appropriate.
* As required, participate in customer service initiatives and medical readiness activities, designed to enhance health services.
* Education: A Diploma of LPN or LVN from an accredited National League of Nursing (NLN) approved program.
* Licensure: Possess current unrestricted license to practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) in one of the fifty states, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, or the U.S. Virgin Islands.
* Experience: Must be continuously employed in the practice of Licensed Practical Nurse for 2 years prior to start of work at the WRNMMC. Internal Medicine/Primary Care Clinic experience is desirable.
* Additional Required Knowledge and Experience: 1) Shall be able to read, write, speak and understand English well enough to effectively communicate with all patients and other health care providers. Be comfortable in the ability to triage patients using nursing practice guidelines. 2)Shall be knowledgeable of equipment and supply terminology and skill sufficient to identify and use necessary equipment and supplies properly and to communicate proper use with nurses, medical staff, patients, and family members. 3) Shall be sufficiently skilled to teach patients proper self-care and to motivate patients and family members to continue the procedures for promoting rapid healing. 4) Shall be knowledgeable and possess skills necessary to provide care appropriate to any age-related needs of the patients. The Contract LPN shall demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development appropriate to the appropriate patient population served: Adults and Geriatric (>65). 5) Assess, coordinate, facilitate, deliver and evaluate care for adults and geriatric patients using the nursing process. 6) Knowledge of a wide range of medical disorders/conditions, diagnostic studies and treatments related to prevention, and detection of illnesses in adults, is desirable. 7) The contracted LPN will be knowledgeable in professional care theories, principles, practices, and procedures to perform nursing assignments of moderate difficulty and experience in assessing adult and geriatric patients, as appropriate. 8)Knowledge of computer operations and proficiency in the use of basic word processing, data entry and automated medical records.
* Certification: Maintain current certification in American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers.
* Must be a U.S citizen and have the ability to pass a background check/security clearance.
STAFFING & SCHEDULING:
1. Internal Medicine LPN shifts shall be 8 hours in length, not to exceed 40 hours per week.
a. Shifts shall be 8.5 hours in total length with 30 minutes for lunch. Skipping lunch to leave work 30 minutes earlier is not permissible.
b. As a guideline shift hours will range from 06:30 to 5:30 pm based on the needs of the clinic (8.5 hour shift)..
c. Contract LPNs are required to sign or clock in and out upon arrival at the end of their shift.
2. For LPNs/LVNs to work in a Primary Care Medical Home, shifts shall be 8 to 10 hours in length, not toexceed 40 hours per week.
a. Shifts shall be 8.5 or 10.5 hours in total length with 30 minutes for lunch. Skipping lunch to leave work 30 minutes earlier is not permissible.
b. As a guideline shift hours will range from 6:30 to 5:30 pm based on the needs of the clinic. Contract LPNs hours shall be established on rotating shifts by a prearranged schedule that will provide uninterrupted service in the Military Treatment Facility.
c. Contract employees are required to sign in upon arrival and sign out at the end of their shift.