Head Stallion Person
- Duchess Dr, Newmarket CB8, UK
Godolphin is the world’s largest global thoroughbred breeding operation and horseracing team. Today Team Godolphin spans across four continents, from our home in Dubai to Europe, Australia, Japan, and America. Founded in Dubai in 1992, the operation has been built on a foundation of innovation and uninhibited achievement that has led to a legacy of success for horses in Godolphin’s famous blue silks. Its global headquarters is in Newmarket, which is the epicentre of the UK’s thoroughbred industry.
Darley, the thoroughbred stallion division of Godolphin, currently stands stallions in seven countries around the world. Darley's headquarters is Dalham Hall Stud in Newmarket - the renowned home of racing.
The successful candidate will lead a team of nine Stallion Handlers, ensuring the first-class, year-round care of our stallions and upkeep of the pristine grounds.
Reporting to the Director of Studs, Stallions & Breeding, the post holder is responsible for the following:
- Planning and coordination of daily tasks for all Stallion Handlers
- Overseeing the management of the Covering Barn during the breeding season
- Responsible for scheduling coverings, feed orders, coordinating farriers, dentists, and veterinary inspections
- Overseeing client visits and stallion viewings
- Organising staff and stallions for photography and filming
- Coordination of stallion exercise routine
- Organisation and delivery of the Darley Stallion Parade
- Day to day people management:
- Motivating staff through flexible leadership and effective communication
- Performance management through regular discussion, goal setting and feedback
- Absence management and reporting
- Scheduling staff holiday
- Ensuring that members of staff have the correct training and certification (where applicable)
- Keeping up to date risk assessment and method statements
- Ensuring that all operations are carried out in accordance with current health and safety guidelines
- Developing policies and operational procedures
- Supporting your own personal development by attending training events as required
- Always demonstrating commitment to the Godolphin Diversity and Inclusion Policy.
A Head Stallion Handler holds a great deal of responsibility and should lead by example. It is important that you have a sense of humour, a positive attitude towards the role and demand excellence from yourself and your team.
We hope to recruit someone who values their team members, and achieves excellence by creating a fun, fair, collaborative, and respectful working environment.
We are proud of the professional and friendly service our valued customers receive. A high standard of presentation both personal and of the stallion yard is integral to this.
It is essential that the successful candidate is punctual and has a flexible attitude, working additional hours when required.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Strong leadership skills
- Organised with excellent attention to detail
- Good record keeping
- Experience with stallion management
- Confident and effective communicator
- Excellent client relationship skills
In Return, we offer a very competitive salary and benefits package, company accommodation and a first-class working environment, with excellent opportunities to learn and develop new skills.
To apply please click “I’m Interested” or send your CV and a covering letter to:
Godolphin Management Company Limited
The Main Office
Suffolk, CB8 9HE
The closing date for applications is 21 November 2021. We reserve the right to interview and close this vacancy early if a suitable candidate is identified.
Godolphin aims to create a diverse and inclusive working environment in which everyone feels valued, that their contribution matters and they are able to perform to their full potential. We therefore encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds and circumstances, and we will be happy to discuss any adjustments you may require to make our workplace one you can thrive in.