Employment Pathways Director
- Mombasa, Kenya
The Global Development Incubator (GDI) is a non-profit organization legally registered under the Non- Governmental Organizations Coordination Act of Kenya and is an affiliate of the GDI USA-incorporated entity that is registered as a 501c3 non-profit. GDI’s Mission is to bring together ideas, leaders and capital to build and scale the next generation of social solutions. GDI drives towards scaled impact through two pathways, i) a set of top-down initiatives involving multiple stakeholders and/or sectors, and ii) bottom-up engagements with individual enterprises. The GDI-4- step ‘Growth Engineering’ process (comprised of the discovery, design, build and exit phases) is used to execute across the two impact pathways, adapting as needed or focusing on sub-components of the process to best suit a given engagement (e.g., portions of the ‘Build’ phase are not applicable to a bottom-up growth strategy for an individual social enterprise or nonprofit). Please visit our website for more information: www.globaldevincubator.org
About the Global Opportunity Youth Network (GOYN): GOYN is an initiative incubated by GDI. GOYN aims to catalyze youth economic opportunity at scale by strengthening cross-sector, community-based approaches to address youth unemployment. In Mombasa, GOYN works to improve youth employment outcomes by partnering with community leaders to identify the systems, policies, and incentives most needed to improve long-term youth employment outcomes and accelerate high-priority solutions through global grant funding and linkages to impact financing. GOYN’s main partners in Mombasa include Swahilipot Hub Foundation, The Global Development Incubator, Catholic Relief Services, The Aspen Institute and Conrad N Hilton Foundation among others.
Employment Pathways Director Role Overview
The Employment Pathways Director will be responsible for contributing to the development of a real-time labour market information system and facilitating the design and implementation of employment pathways and partnerships that create economic opportunity for youth in Mombasa County. The Pathways Director will facilitate learning and capacity building in the local youth jobs ecosystem, sharing data insights and research to drive adoption of effective practices. S/he will directly manage 2-3 full time staff and supervise the work of vendors and consultants.
○ A self-motivated and highly flexible individual with strong interpersonal skills who can manage multiple tasks and priorities
○ Combination of technical and managerial knowledge to effectively lead and manage
○ Ability to exercise independent judgment and decision making discretion related to labor market and employment programming
○ Ability to think strategically and creatively to solve problems and find effective and efficient ways to accomplish goals
○ Experience in data collection, analysis, research and forecasting
○ Uses data to inform strategy and decision making
● Project Management:
○ Ability to lead and manage technically complex projects with multiple workstreams
● Domain expertise:
○ In depth understanding of the public and private sector employment practices, potential job types and roles available for the opportunity youth in the Mombasa ecosystem
○ Knowledge of and relationships with key government and regulatory bodies e.g. industry and trade associations, skills commissions etc.
○ Strong understanding of marginalised communities, specifically youth at the bottom of the economic pyramid
● Financial management:
○ Experience with creating and managing complex program budgets, and financial reporting
● Funder management
○ Grant writing, administration, and reporting skills
● Data / technical experience
○ Knowledge and experience with cloud-based platforms for analyzing and managing data
ACTIVITIES AND DESIRED RESULTS
● Strategy development and implementation
○ Develop overall program strategy and workplan for creation of youth employment pathways in Mombasa County, including selection of priority industries and segments
○ Drive demand-driven training and employment models - working with the GOYN team you will be responsible for expanding demand-driven approaches within the youth employment ecosystem in Mombasa County
● Demand mapping
○ Develop a method to collect labour market data to inform the design of youth employment pathways
○ Oversee design and execution of employer and job seeker surveys across the county including to MNCs, SMEs, informal sector
○ Collaborate with ecosystem actors and technology vendors to design and build a digital Labor Market Information System that provides real-time reports and dashboards
● Facilitate ecosystem learning and data-sharing
○ Facilitate sharing of data and research within the youth employment ecosystem
○ Provide primary and secondary analysis of all research data to support the development of or contributions to key findings.
○ Directly contribute to and manage the creation of research reports and presentations, including drafting the findings report and presentation and collaborating with stakeholders on design and production
● Partnerships development and relationship management
○ Facilitate connection of youth to economic opportunity - the ultimate KPI for this role is the number of youth connected to economic opportunity, including formal and informal jobs and entrepreneurship pathways
○ Develop and maintain relationships with key project actors e.g. government agencies, funders, INGOs, skilling providers, employers
● Fundraising and financial reporting
○ Research fundraising opportunities; Develop funding proposals and submit them to potential donors.
○ Network with relevant funders to identify synergies and develop winning proposals
○ In collaboration with other team members, prepare quarterly budgets and reports to be shared with potential funders
● A minimum of 7-10 years’ experience in the area of expertise
● Bachelor’s degree or relevant equivalent experience. Master’s Degree preferred.
Interested candidates who meet the desired qualification are encouraged to submit their Cover Letter and CV using the link here. Early applications are strongly encouraged and will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Applications must be received by 15th September 2021. Late applications will not be considered.
While we thank all applicants for expressing interest in the role, however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.