Human Centred Design Researcher
- London, UK
- Employees can work remotely
- Department: Design & Research
- Office: London
Genomics England successfully led the world-leading 100,000 Genomes Project, which compared and analysed individuals’ genetic codes to help diagnose, treat and prevent illness.
We're now accelerating our impact, working with the NHS to further develop and embed genomic healthcare and research in Britain. Our next chapter involves working with patients, doctors, scientists, government and industry to improve genomic testing, and help researchers access the health data and technology they need to make new medical discoveries and create more effective, targeted medicines for everybody.
Are you a HCD Researcher looking to use your talent to build products and services to advance healthcare in the UK?
This is an opportunity for you to use your Human Centred Design research ability to feed into our user journey experience over a range of products and services that directly impact advancements in personalised genomic medicine. You'll be involved in developing visual frameworks and a key player in our design process to ensure user insight is at the heart of all we do.
Everyday responsibilities include:
- Qualitative and quantitative human centred design research
- Identify market and consumer trends through consumer research and design using established techniques
- Responsible for the day to day management, value for money, schedules and deliverables of research agencies
- Feed insights into the definition of the overall user journey experience
- Test concepts and prototypes with user groups in a variety of forums including lab-based research and facilitation
- Develop visual frameworks (such as journey maps) to clearly identify points for improvement
- Be an active participant in the iterative product and service design process to feed-in user insight
- Promote user centred design principles and best practice
- Know and understand the meaning behind our virtues of Empathy, Integrity, Focus, Connection, Speed, Curiosity, Impact and embody them in all aspects of your role
- You understand that our virtues are the bedrock of Genomics England and you use them to guide your decisions – whether big or small, and also as a compass to guide the behaviour of your team – ensuring that they regularly affirm and check in with the virtues
Skills and Experience for Success
- Substantial experience in user research to support the end-to-end design of products and services using modern, robust techniques such as lab studies, expert evaluations, participatory design sessions, rapid prototyping, ethnographic research methods and persona development, behavioural analysis, journeys, diary studies, design probes etc.
- The ability to turn research into insights and insights into action
- Analytical Thinking
- Gathering relevant information from a range of sources including user research, trends etc. Then sift information and selects what is significant
- Translate analysis into practical action plans
- Ability to simplify complex problems, processes or projects
- Identify causal relationships and construct frameworks for problem solving and/or development
- Ability to think ahead to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action
- Prioritising and planning activities taking into account all the relevant issues such as deadlines, managing research agencies etc
- Proven experience of providing advice to UX and product teams
- Experience of employing HCI based methods and tools such as user modelling, task analysis, scenarios, use cases, wire frames, paper prototypes, labelling schemes, flow diagrams, site maps and comparative analyses
- Proven experience in designing and conducting user research in a complex environment
- Excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills - the ability to communicate the reasoning behind your preferred results, methods, and approaches (orally and in writing) with internal clients
- The ability to deliver effective presentations and experience facilitating ideation and strategy workshops with both clients and stakeholders
Degree in Design Strategy, HCI, social sciences or design research - or equivalent
Originally conceived as a project, Genomics England has transformed to meet the opportunities created by our scientific breakthroughs in understanding the Human Genome. Being part of this journey is a reward in itself, however we're pleased to offer our colleagues a great benefits package including:
- competitive salary
- 30 days holiday
- generous pension scheme
- individual learning budgets for every colleague
- a raft of other benefits
Talk to our Talent Team and find out how a career with Genomics England will benefit you.