Regional Media Director - Europe /Australia
- Uxbridge, UK
Making Food People Love
We serve the world by making food people love. As one of the world’s leading food companies, General Mills believes that food should make us better. Food brings us joy and nourishes our lives, connecting us to each other and the earth. General Mills operates in more than 100 countries and markets more than 100 consumer brands, including Cheerios, Häagen-Dazs, Nature Valley, Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, Green Giant, Old El Paso, Yoplait and more. Headquartered in Minneapolis, General Mills had global net sales of US$16.8 billion during fiscal 2019.
We seek out the best talent, then give them development resources, support and the chance to lead something big. Choosing a career with General Mills means joining a company where you can make a difference in the lives of millions of people. There is tremendous opportunity here for individuals who want to advance food through innovation and serve the world.
Reporting to the Business Unit Director (BUD) World Food and Brand Experience, the Media Director will oversee the creation and deployment of influential and impactful media and communication strategies encompassing all media channels -- TV, digital (including programmatic) and beyond, with a media spend of $50 MM USD across all countries in Europe and Australasia (EUAU). The Director will focus on the development and execution of idea-driven media activations working with Regional Business Units “RBU”, Media/Creative agencies and Media partners. The Director will drive the transformation of the EUAU approach to consumer connections, the development of long-term strategy and integrated planning for our core brands through the lens of media; developing robust and holistic channel plans, in partnership with key stakeholders and data points to help global brands connect with people in context.
Key accountabilities that will drive significant organizational value are:
- Drive the development of regional connection strategies across our five growth platforms to increase brand memorability and presence throughout entire consumer journey
- Set the vision and organizational structure needed to enable Communication and Media experiences that will allow us GMI brands to win in the marketplace in a fluid, fully digital media world
- Take segment responsibility for the building supplier strategic partnerships, as well as the internal partner with our North America Retail (NAR) Media and Global Sourcing teams
- Mange relationship with all agencies to embed best-in-class media thinking and innovation into General Mills International “GMI” brand in all markets
- Challenge ideas in the connection strategy, connection architecture, and brand toolkits to ensure they are robust before the recommendations are cascaded to local markets, working transversally with other functions, media and creative agencies
- Collaborate with BUD’s, agencies, and other internal stakeholders to review and discuss the first draft of Brand Plans and agreed approach.
- Work closely with agencies to embed best-in-class media thinking and innovation into GMI’s brand growth plans through the design of Connection Strategies and Architectures, providing clear direction for agencies.
- Manage regional relationship with Media agency and contract negotiations in conjunction with our Global Sourcing team.
- Work closely with Country Business Units and agencies to drive regional best practice in initiatives and land communication plans.
- Provide guidance and support that drives best practice within the regional communication channel investment strategy.
- Work with the GMI US counterpart to share learning’s/approaches plus strong alignment with the EUAU/Global Marketing and Sales sourcing team in Nyon.
- Work with the Measurement team to evaluate the performance of campaigns through measurement and tracking, whilst remaining agile in response to results.
- Take the lead in identifying optimization opportunities, tackling issues, and driving best practices across the region.
- Steward the General Mills brand building process by facilitating working sessions, holding teams accountable for framework development, and being an owner/advocate for the process.
- University Degree in Marketing, Business, or related field
- Solid work experience at a related client company (FMCG) or Strategic Marketing Agency
- Previous experience in Media Agencies, web technology companies, digital media, etc.
- Experience in enterprise software, web technology companies, digital media, or enterprise collaboration space (productivity or social) strongly desired
- Proven experience working with and managing various media/creative and marketing agencies
- Experience planning and creating social media content and conversations on behalf of a brand or organization
- Strong creative writer, with ability to think & plan strategically
- Comfortable with using data to communicate results and refine strategies
- Experience using reporting tools to extract insights (e.g. Crimson Hexagon, Google Analytics, Facebook Insights)
- Strong interpersonal skills and able to effectively manage community criticism; experience with issues and crisis management
- Strong collaborator; able to quickly track down answers for community questions and work with a diverse team to plan and execute social and digital plans
- Interested in food – especially recipe brands
- Ability to be flexible and work with ambiguity; self-directed
- Strong organizational skills in a global operating environment and process management skills will be a plus
- Passionate about people: able to quickly build relationships & trust with cross functional team members & key stakeholders
- Bias for action: Strong initiative and ability to drive projects to completion
- Resourceful & creative: Able to think laterally around problems to create solutions
- Collaborative approach in work, feeling comfortable working with a variety of teams