Senior Brand Manager
- Uxbridge, UK
Food. Purpose. You.
We serve the world by making food people love. As one of the world’s leading food companies, General Mills believes that food should make us better. Food brings us joy and nourishes our lives, connecting us to each other and the earth. General Mills operates in more than 100 countries and markets more than 100 consumer brands, including Cheerios, Häagen-Dazs, Nature Valley, Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, Green Giant, Old El Paso, Yoplait and more. Headquartered in Minneapolis, General Mills had global net sales of US$17.6 billion during fiscal 2015.
We seek out the best talent, then give them development resources, support and the chance to lead something big. Choosing a career with General Mills means joining a company where you can make a difference in the lives of millions of people. There is tremendous opportunity here for individuals who want to advance food through innovation and serve the world.
Roles & Responsibilities
The role of Senior Brand Manager on the Haagen-Dazs brand is a fantastic opportunity for a marketer to stretch their strategic and commercial capabilities, taking full P&L responsibility for the business.
The incumbent will be responsible for the strategic development, planning and activation of the Annual Brand Plan and ensuring this plan delivers revenue and profit targets. Operating at a local level, they will be help lead the overall brand strategy with the goal of maximising the long term equity and brand profitability, and will be required to provide appropriate leadership to the wider business, working cross-functionally on all growth initiatives.
Reporting to the Marketing Manager the key responsibilities of the role include:
• Developing winning strategies and tactics that drive Brand performance to achieve the annual plan . Work with MM to develop UK brand vision (5 yr plan) and lead execution of the UK Brand Plan.
• Responsible for management of P&L including leading monthly analysis of sales, spend and profit (against plan) and assuming full responsibility for management and forecasting of the brand A&CP budget.
• Responsible for brand analytics – tracking brand results, diagnosing business drivers, and recommending actions
• Developing strong working relationships with European and global development teams to ensure strategic communication platforms and NPD are aligned to the UK brand vision and strategies.
• Building Brand Equity; ensuring marketing activities build equity ensuring the Brand has a place in consumers’ hearts and that colleagues are passionate to contribute to brand results.
• Responsibility for development of the brand connections strategy and plan including leading relationships with key agencies (media, PR, and digital) ensuring key projects are delivered to the brand standard and positive inter- and intra-agency team development.
• Working with the sales teams to define optimum growth channels for the brand across both Grocery and Food Service.
• Defining and implementing the optimum product range
Key performance indicators ‘How will I know I’ve succeeded?’
• Achievement of annual sales, penetration, share and profit objectives.
• Achievement of annual Brand Plan implementation within budgeted guidelines.
• Foster positive internal and external relationships to develop a climate of enthusiasm and optimism for the brand
Skills & Qualifications
Experience / Exposure / Temperament
• Graduate caliber (minimum 2:1) with proven marketing success in a consumer branded company.
• Ability to foster strong working relationships with regional and internal teams
• Strong analytical experience, ability to use data to develop business strategies
• Prior experience in all aspects of brand management.
• Prior experience and proven success in managing external agency relationships.
• Six years+ brand marketing experience with at least three years in FMCG.
• Experience in developing through the line connection plans, including media, PR,digital and social.
• In-depth knowledge of the UK multiple grocery channels and their associated trading issues
• Management of P&Ls and A&CP budgeting.
• Knowledge of panel/continuous data and exposure to a wide range of market research techniques used in building brands
Candidate’s required skills
• Strong leadership skills and ability to influence cross-functionally
• Ability to develop strategies which produce step-change business results
• Passionate about consumers and understanding of brands and the need for emotional connection with consumers
• Able to work with ambiguity; flexibly minded to offer innovative solutions
• Commercially savvy with an good understanding of drivers of profitability
• Excellent communication skills; ability to energize teams by conveying compelling vision
• Excellent project management skills, able to plan effectively, time management and the ability to delegate appropriately
• Marketing competencies
• Leadership expectations
• Demonstrated personal accountability for achieving brand business results
• Passion for food: able to provide examples of real consumer insight and uses these insights to develop effective plans.
• Ability to energize and develop people
• Is a true brand champion
• Tenacious in their ability to deliver projects on time.
• Cultural and values alignment
What will you get from us?
Joining General Mills is your chance to be part of a fun and collaborative team - a small team in a big company! Our robust projects give you the opportunity to make an immediate impact as you learn and grow in preparation for your future. You will interact with senior leaders, build a professional network, and create lasting friendships.