Shopper Marketing Manager
- Uxbridge, UK
Food. Purpose. You.
We serve the world by making food people love. As one of the world’s leading food companies, General Mills believes that food should make us better. Food brings us joy and nourishes our lives, connecting us to each other and the earth. General Mills operates in more than 100 countries and markets more than 100 consumer brands, including Cheerios, Häagen-Dazs, Nature Valley, Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, Green Giant, Old El Paso, Yoplait and more. Headquartered in Minneapolis, General Mills had global net sales of US$17.6 billion during fiscal 2015.
We seek out the best talent, then give them development resources, support and the chance to lead something big. Choosing a career with General Mills means joining a company where you can make a difference in the lives of millions of people. There is tremendous opportunity here for individuals who want to advance food through innovation and serve the world.
Roles & Responsibilities
The role of Shopper Marketing Manager is a fantastic opportunity to lead the shopper marketing strategy for one of our key brands and to be the voice of the shopper in the development of the overall brand strategy. Working closely with the sales team, the SMM will also have responsibility for specific accounts ensuring retailer-centricity in the development and execution of all shopper related activity in order to achieve revenue and profit targets.
Reporting to the Marketing Manager the key responsibilities of the role include:
• Being the strategic lead for the shopper marketing strategy for specified brands. Owning and developing the annual shopper marketing plan and budget, ensuring alignment with the overall brand strategy.
• Leading the relationship with the shopper agency to develop the annual marketing plan and working with the shopper insights team to define a clear shopper strategy for the brand.
• Tracking, measuringand post evaluating all major activity in plan, in order to continually improve Shopper Impact effectiveness and ROI.
• In conjunction with MS&P & SBMs, create and deliver the CCBP sell-ins for the specified brands.
• Owning and managing execution of generic and retailer specific trade communication of GM initiatives via media including trade press, PR and presentations.
• For the role allocated retailers, building and managing on going retailer relationship and leveraging shopper insights to deliver plans that maximise impact with the retailers shoppers.
• Developing, executing and post evaluating customer specific shopper marketing plans and being the continuous voice of the shopper for the GM brands.
• Executing key customer shopper marketing events, via leading cross-functional teams and 3rd parties to deliver co-ordinated TTL events, meeting agreed KPIs within budget.
• Working closely with shopper insights team to translate insights into best in class campaigns that establish GM as the shopper expert with our key accounts.
Key performance indicators ‘How will I know I’ve succeeded?’
• Achievement of annual sales, penetration, share and profit objectives of brand.
• Development of annual Shopper Plan within budgeted guidelines. and delivery against key shopper metrics
• Foster positive internal and external relationships to develop a climate of enthusiasm and optimism for the brand
Experience / Exposure / Temperament
• Graduate or graduate caliber with proven success in shopper marketing in a consumer branded company.
• FMCG Experience in a blue-chip environment
• Customer facing experience where influencing others and organizing your time are critical skills
• Capable of illustrating commercial acumen
• Experience of turning shopper insights into actionable plans.
• Budget management and awareness of the impact of their actions on profit
• Experience of working with customer data from IRI, AC Nielsen, Kantar, Dunhumby etc.
• Demonstrates learning agility & the drive to continue to challenge yourself
• A passion for challenging the status quo and continuous improvement
• Fundamental understanding of the difference between our Customers, Shoppers and Consumers
Candidate’s required skills
• Strong leadership skills and ability to influence cross-functionally
• Ability to develop shopper strategies which produce step-change business results
• Passionate about the shopper and understanding of brands
• Able to work with ambiguity; flexibly minded to offer innovative solutions
• Commercially savvy with an good understanding of drivers of profitability
• Excellent project management skills, able to plan effectively, time management and the ability to delegate appropriately
• Leadership expectations
• Demonstrated personal accountability for achieving brand business results
• Ability to energize and develop people
• Tenacious in their ability to deliver projects on time.
• Cultural and values alignment
What will you get from us?
Joining General Mills is your chance to be part of a fun and collaborative team - a small team in a big company! Our robust projects give you the opportunity to make an immediate impact as you learn and grow in preparation for your future. You will interact with senior leaders, build a professional network, and create lasting friendships.