- New York, NY, USA
Gameloft, a leading developer of popular mobile games, is seeking a Narrative Designer to join its growing global writing team based in New York City. The role of the Narrative Designer is to act as the champion of a game’s narrative elements, functioning as the central resource for all things narrative related (story, structure, character, context, dialog, etc). The Narrative Designer works closely with a project’s core design team at every step to develop a strong symbiotic relationship between the game’s mechanics, design, and structure, and the narrative being used to support and enhance that structure.
Gameloft offers a unique opportunity to help develop a wide array of games in different genres. We offer room for growth and advancement based on initiative, proactivity, and work quality, and encourage professional development. You will work locally within a collaborative team of Narrative Designers and remotely with studios around the globe.
- Collaborate with development teams around the world to brainstorm creative ways to encapsulate a game’s core mechanics through story and narrative
- Be a collaborative member of the Narrative Team by reviewing work, giving constructive feedback, and participating in the writer’s room
- Actively communicate with game teams and external game partners as needed throughout the game development process
- Write all copy for games including tutorial text, naming, skills, dialogue, etc.
- Write pitches for world building, characters, and other game elements
- Write and maintain design documents for all narrative elements
- Actively grow and develop skills in character design, mobile-based storytelling, dialogues, structure and world building
- Act as a steward for the story throughout the game development process and be a persuasive advocate for narrative in our games
- Troubleshoot issues that arise during game development with the support of the Narrative Producer
- Play and analyze competing games
- Collaborate with cinematic and sound teams to create and maintain consistent narrative execution
- Assist in generating detailed voiceover scripts and gathering needed materials for the dedicated Voiceover Director
- Review builds and provide feedback to our many development teams around the world
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in English, Creative Writing, Theatre, or Film - or equivalent educational or work experience
- 1-3 years of professional experience as a writer in the video game industry or another creative medium
- A strong editorial eye and an ability to craft sharp, clear dialog
- Able to craft clear and coherent stories through excellent written and verbal communication skills suitable for diverse demographics
- Extensive understanding of visual theory, storytelling, plot, structure, and character
- Exceptional knowledge and passion for the history and theories governing interactive storytelling, including how story is used to support game mechanics and enhance player retention
- Passionate about gaming, boasting an in-depth knowledge of games and the fundamentals of their design (with particularly strong comprehension of current mobile gaming F2P trends), game culture, and the entertainment industry as a whole
- Exceptional mastery of the English language
- Able to present a clear narrative concept flow using Excel, PPT, or other related tools
- Strong research, analytical, and problem-solving skills, and an awareness of how to navigate limitations and work with available art/programming resources under aggressive deadlines
- Refined attention to detail
A Resume, Cover Letter, and a Writing Sample are required for consideration. Please submit your writing sample or a link to your writing sample attached to your Resume or as an addendum to your cover letter.
Gameloft is where you want to be.
Live in one of the most entertaining and exciting cities in the world - New York City!!! This opportunity offers:
- Fun, passionate and creative studio with a casual, friendly atmosphere - we love to play, board games, video games, ping pong, and foosball!
- International environment which offers daily contact with other countries & cultures
- Challenging and rewarding work on the next great frontiers in games
- Excellent benefits and studio culture
A leading digital and social game publisher, Gameloft® has established itself as one of the top innovators in its field since 2000. Gameloft creates games for all digital platforms and with an audience of 157 million monthly users offers via Gameloft Advertising Solutions a unique level of visibility and involvement to advertisers. Gameloft operates its own established franchises such as Asphalt®, Order & Chaos, Modern Combat and Dungeon Hunter and also partners with major rights holders including Universal, Illumination Entertainment, Disney®, Marvel®, Hasbro®, Fox Digital Entertainment, Mattel® and Ferrari®. Gameloft distributes its games in over 100 countries and employs 6,000 people worldwide. Gameloft is a Vivendi company.