Assistant Product Manager
- 1230 Macklind Ave, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Booksource™ is the premier trade book distributor to K-12 school classrooms across the country. We work with hundreds of publishers representing more than 30,000 book titles to sell and distribute authentic literature to educators who use real books, called trade books (versus textbooks), to teach reading, writing and other subjects. These are the books kids actually want to read! Our mission is to make it easy for educators to purchase, organize, and incorporate classroom libraries into their schools in the hopes that every school in America will have classroom libraries.
The Assistant Product Manager is responsible for helping to build, assess and improve the curated product collections for K-12 classroom libraries and for the title data. This individual must be a detail-oriented problem solver and information seeker – using consumer insights, industry trends and data analytics to develop solutions. Additionally, this person will research publisher opportunities and manage relationships with designated publishers, maintaining professional and positive business relationships.
- Evaluate product/category portfolio and provide recommendations on changes (updates, additions and deletions) to the overall portfolio
- Work cooperatively with Marketing Communications and Sales to ensure information about collections is communicated clearly and effectively to customers
- Help manage cross-functional projects to develop and renovate products from concept to launch ensuring that we are meeting defined timelines and launch goals
- Partner with Sales on the creation of customized lists to match curriculum needs
- Through trade shows, seminars and articles, research trends in children’s publishing, K-12 education and market competition to create title collections that address consumer needs
- Report out on product performance - analysis and implications
- Write content, including but not limited to, articles and book reviews to support Booksource catalogs, Banter, and social media efforts
- Research new publisher relationship opportunities to expand product offerings
- Serve as the primary contact for an assigned group of publishers, maintaining professional and positive business relationships
- Monitor and report sales and cooperative advertising efforts for the assigned group of publishers
- Use publisher catalogs, Edelweiss, NetGalley, review copies, and industry news sources to select titles from the assigned group of publishers appropriate to Booksource’s K-12 educational market
Title Data (Metadata) Management
- Build and maintain system data related to books, eBooks, collections, catalogs, and reading levels
- Ensure all metadata is thoroughly, consistently and accurately populated according to Booksource style guides
- Create and support change management activities related to data efficiencies and solutions
- B.A. or B.S. Degree (Communication, Marketing, or other related field preferred)
- Strong interest in reading and education
- Highly process oriented with strong attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively on projects, sharing information and responsibilities with team members
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and projects while meeting deadlines
- Ability to analyze and summarize sales data and make collection decisions accordingly
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to correctly and efficiently enter and process vast amounts of data
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (specifically Excel, Word, and PowerPoint)
- Comfortable presenting to internal and external groups as needed
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines. GL group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If interested, please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements.