Operator - Box Machine - Day Shift/ $16.63 Hourly
- West Hazleton, PA, USA
Build a meaningful career with a company committed to a cleaner world and a better tomorrow.
Graham Packaging is a leading manufacturer of sustainable packaging. We work with some of the biggest brands in the world to provide them with safe, attractive and convenient packaging that meets the demands of today’s consumer.
Our company offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefits program. But that’s just the beginning of our story. There are many reasons to launch a career with Graham packaging, here are just a few:
We offer training and development opportunities so you can advance in your career with Graham
We have an excellent safety program, with one of the best safety records in the industry
Our employees are proud to share that we treat our workforce like family
We believe in open, transparent communications, starting with senior leadership
Our company is committed to bringing meaningful change to the sustainability of our products and operations. In 2019 we were honored with the Sustainability Leadership Award from the Business Intelligence Group, and we recently pledged to make all of our products 100% recyclable, compostable or reusable by 2025.
At Graham, we are focused on the possibilities for a better product, a happier customer and a cleaner world. We recognize that when we work together, we can achieve great things. We treat each other with respect, and are united in a shared passion to make sustainable products that make life easier for the consumers who use them.
Come join us in our quest to create a better tomorrow.
Graham Packaging Company is looking for a Machine Operator I based in West Hazleton, PA. This opening is for Day Shift, which operates during the hours of 6:30 AM to 7:00 PM.
The starting pay for this position is $16.63 per hour.
Responsible for inspecting and packing plastic containers; assembling corrugated containers via machine; removing packed corrugated containers from conveyor belt and stacking on the end of the line. Must perform visual inspections of plastic containers for defects and proper spout placement. We reserve the right to make all shift assignments based company needs. The primary duties of an Operator/Box Machine include:
- Understands, follows and enforces all established safety, health, quality, GMP and Company policies, procedures and recognized practices.
- Understands, follows and enforces all established policies, procedures and recognized practices.
- Participate in continuous quality improvement projects and other related activities as assigned.
- Monitor flow of product on conveyor (unjam machines, orient spouts, monitor trimmer, label inspection equipment (INEX and lead detector) as bottles go through various phases of production.
- Assist in cleaning trimmer jams, restart trimmer and feed untrimmed bottles back in to system as necessary.
- Assemble corrugated packing containers.
- Stack off boxes as they come down the conveyor to the end of the line.
- Prepare the filled containers for removal by the clamp truck driver.
- Palletize packed boxes of product that are tied with string and tagged in preparation for transport.
- Visually inspect products for defects to ensure product quality.
- Hand-pack bottles in to boxes (where necessary) and manually assemble boxes.
- Load plastic bottle spouts into hopper, which are then automatically dispensed to the spout inserter machine. Identify spout types.
- Perform manual inspection and rework on questionable product.
- Perform daily preventative maintenance as required (i.e. cleaning, greasing, inspection of wheel and downstream equipment).
- Load corrugated boxes and dividers into box making machine. Understand daily schedule posting.
- Operate and monitor automated box making machine, adding glue when needed.
- General clean up involving sweeping, delivering scrap plastic bottles to grinder and keeping the floor free from clutter.
- Follow all safety regulations and requirements.
- Identify and correct jams.
- Operate and monitor grinder operation. Identify paper/plastic labels for line grinding.
- Assist in the training of permanent and temporary workforce in stacking, packing quality, and case machines.
- Keep work area and other facilities clean, orderly and safe.
- Complete written documentation as required.
- May perform basic stretch wrapper functions.
- Limited travel may be required
- Other duties as assigned.
A minimum of 2 years in manufacturing preferred. Forklift experience preferred.
Required to interact with other managers, employees, vendors, and customers. Therefore, the following skills and proficiencies are also essential requirements of the position:
- Ability to maintain regular, predictable, and punctual attendance.
- Computer usage and typing skills are essential.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, including the ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers.
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary customer service.
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices.
- Communicates effectively: conveys facts and information clearly both verbally and orally.
- Collaborates well with others: proactively contributes to group objectives; volunteers to help others.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Graham Packaging is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, religion, creed, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
NOTICE TO RECRUITMENT AGENCIES:
Graham Packaging is not accepting unsolicited resumes from agencies and/or search firms for any job postings on this site. Resumes submitted to any Graham Packaging employee by a third party agency and/or search firm without a valid written and signed search agreement, will become the sole property of Graham Packaging. No fee will be paid if a candidate is hired for a position as a result of an unsolicited agency or search firm referral.