Capital Deployment Manager
- York, PA, USA
Build a meaningful career with a company committed to a cleaner world and a better tomorrow.
Graham Packaging is a leading manufacturer of sustainable packaging. We work with some of the biggest brands in the world to provide them with safe, attractive and convenient packaging that meets the demands of today’s consumer.
Our company offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefits program. But that’s just the beginning of our story. There are many reasons to launch a career with Graham packaging, here are just a few:
- We offer training and development opportunities so you can advance in your career with Graham
- We have an excellent safety program, with one of the best safety records in the industry
- Our employees are proud to share that we treat our workforce like family
- We believe in open, transparent communications, starting with senior leadership
- Our company is committed to bringing meaningful change to the sustainability of our products and operations. In 2019 we were honored with the Sustainability Leadership Award from the Business Intelligence Group, and we recently pledged to make all of our products 100% recyclable, compostable or reusable by 2025.
At Graham, we are focused on the possibilities for a better product, a happier customer and a cleaner world. We recognize that when we work together, we can achieve great things. We treat each other with respect, and are united in a shared passion to make sustainable products that make life easier for the consumers who use them.
Come join us in our quest to create a better tomorrow!
Graham Packaging is seeking a Capital Deployment Manager who will lead a team of engineers who will execute the capital strategy for North America. The Capital Deployment Manager’s team will manage $75 - $120MM in capital spend annually in over 60 manufacturing centers across North America. GPC will rely on this Manager to act as a subject matter expert and lead teams to create and define processes and tools that ensure sustained improvement in team performance. The position will also interface closely with capital procurement, program management and capital development. The Capital Deployment Manager will oversee quoting, specification development, specification verification, qualification and debrief to ensure that equipment solutions meet functional performance requirements. The capital Deployment Manager will work based in the Global Technology Center in York PA.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- As a subject matter expert, this manager will lead teams to create and define tools and procedures that improve and advance the quality and efficiency of work produced by the capital deployment team. Will provide advice and counsel to senior management on significant technical issues related to expertise
- Provides expert vision, guidance and strong judgment in researching and developing next generation solutions to complex problems
- Solves unique and complex problems that have a broad impact on the business
- Performs work that is the most technically advanced. Responsible for solving highly technical or complex problems on a routine basis
- Strong leadership skills. Able to set priorities consistent with objectives and manage multiple conflicting priorities
- Act as mentor and coach in the training and development of capital deployment engineers
- Define equipment functional requirements using an understanding of the current and possible future product applications
- Develop verification and qualification procedures that enhance vendor understanding and ensure alignment around meeting functional requirements
- Dissect and break down project scope and develop capital solution details including:
o Develop Line layouts that are functional, ergonomic, safe, provide for efficient workflow and support GMP
o Interface with Development Engineering and corporate SME’s in developing engineered solutions
o Engage suppliers in developing engineered solutions
- Oversee portfolio of projects ensuring all aspects of project execution for medium to large complex capital projects including:
o Manage internal and third party (e.g. contract) resources
o Engage procurement team with vendors to ensure vendor qualification requirements are agree upon and communicated contractually prior to issuing purchase orders.
o Ensure coordination of onsite project installations and startup activities
o Ensure factory and site acceptance tests are condition of asset buy off at vendor site and after installation
o Liaise with plants, sales, supply chain, human resources and regulatory agencies as necessary to ensure project success
o Ensure all work is performed according to strict corporate Safety and GMP policies
- Work cross functionally to develop factory-training plans for newly installed equipment:
o Develop and implement systematic training of plant personnel
o Coordinate training activities with internal training resources and venders
- Ensure manufacturing variability reduction in setup and operation of capital equipment through the proper application of fixturing, gauging and standard work
- Ensure project debriefs to identify improvement opportunities and participate in the implementation of process improvements
- 50% travel at times
Core Proficiencies and Skills
The following skills and proficiencies are essential requirements of the position:
- Demonstrated ability to decompose operational requirements such as form factor, energy consumption, ease of use, throughput and efficiency into equipment specifications such that the sum of the pieces yields the desired whole
- Expert Knowledge in the selection and implementation of small to moderate-sized production lines that include:
o Bulk material preparation e.g. dryers, batch mixers, washers,
o Bulk material handling equipment e.g. hoppers, augers, sorters
o Converting equipment e.g. plastic extruders, molders, thermoformers, injection molders, stampers, trimmers, etc.
o Conveyance equipment e.g. belt conveyers, indexers, sorters, etc.
o Decoration equipment e.g. in-line labelers, silk screen printers, direct object printers, shrink labelers, etc.
o Finished goods handling e.g. bulk packers, palletizers
o Inspection equipment e.g. inline dimensional inspection stations, leak detectors
- Expert in line layout design using software such as AutoCAD.
- Is a subject matter expert in a single discipline related to GPC manufacturing processes or has extensive knowledge of multiple manufacturing disciplines.
- Knowledge of line design that optimizes line uptime i.e. throughput, queueing, accumulation and bottleneck analysis, while minimizing floor space and capital cost.
- Skilled in ergonomics and design for human safety
- Deep knowledge of:
o High (600 psi) and standard (100 psi) pressure factory air system selection, installation, and maintenance, including piping requirements and standards
o Chilled water systems and HVAC
o Hydraulic systems including theory of operation of pumps, valves, filtration and metering. Also experience with hydraulic system maintenance and troubleshooting
o PLC (e.g. Beckhoff, AB) and control hardware including ability to read and use schematics to verify and troubleshoot systems
o Electrical distribution systems including working knowledge of IEEE safety and design standard. Familiar with electrical cabinet and J-box design, conduiting, grounding, and termination best practices. Capable to read and understand electrical schematics.
o Equipment crating and transportation
o Heavy equipment manipulation using hoists and rigging and factory floor alignment/attachment
- Expert knowledge in the use of tools in project management such as Gantt charts, critical path analysis, and action registers, etc.
- Strong leadership skills managing project portfolios, diverse team members and contractors
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements
- BS or higher degree in Engineering (Mechanical or Electrical)
- Minimum 10 years of experience in project management, equipment development, and deploying medium complexity manufacturing lines and systems.
- Minimum of 5 years of capital engineering management
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Graham Packaging is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, religion, creed, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
NOTICE TO RECRUITMENT AGENCIES:
Graham Packaging is not accepting unsolicited resumes from agencies and/or search firms for any job postings on this site. Resumes submitted to any Graham Packaging employee by a third party agency and/or search firm without a valid written and signed search agreement, will become the sole property of Graham Packaging. No fee will be paid if a candidate is hired for a position as a result of an unsolicited agency or search firm referral.