- Kalamazoo, MI, USA
Evergreen Packaging, a global leader in paper packaging solutions, makes paper and paperboard products designed to deliver product freshness, brand distinction and supply chain assurance. Global brands trust us to protect their products and their reputations. As a vertically integrated manufacturer, we leverage scientific expertise and Manufacturing Excellence principles to bring great products to market worldwide. Sustainability is at the heart of all we do. We are leaders in promoting responsible forestry and recycling for our packaging formats. Our team members are the cornerstone of building a sustainable business. Our trust-rich culture reflects a passionate commitment to collaboration, participation, ownership and resourcefulness.
Responsible for supervising the hourly production employees on shift in order to meet the safety, environmental, production, quality, and cost goals of the department, as well as to meet customer delivery dates. This position is also responsible for overseeing employee training, enforcing all rules, policies and procedures, recommending disciplinary action when required, and verifying/approving work hours and pay rates utilizing timekeeping systems. The Team Leader is responsible for the safe and productive operation of the entire plant during the off shift hours. They may have to work different shifts, including overtime, to include weekend work, with their hourly team. They report directly to the Production Manager and have full accountability for the safety, productivity, and quality on their crew.
- Ensure all employees are knowledgeable of and adhere to Evergreen Packaging safety policies and procedures, as well as OSHA regulations.
- Organize, manage, and direct the activities of employees assigned on shift to meet production goals and Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s). Verify and approve work hours and pay rates utilizing approved timekeeping systems.
- Responsible for effective employee relations. Provides employee coaching and development. Resolve employee issues through timely and effective problem resolution. Ensure hourly employees have proper training and tools to meet department goals.
- Responsible for holding First Step Meeting in the Grievance procedure.
- Responsible for handling overtime, holiday, seniority, etc. per the Bargaining Agreement.
- Meet production goals by balancing quality, productivity, performance, cost, safety, environmental, and morale to achieve positive results in all areas of the department.
- Work with other departments, shifts, and direct reports to achieve positive team attitude among crews and peers.
- Check work areas for safety hazards, conduct weekly safety meetings with department employees, communicate the status of orders, schedule departmental clean-ups, and communicate with Quality Assurance Manager concerning all issues affecting quality (side seams, skiving issues, mixed loads, etc.).
- Provide products and services that consistently meet the mutually agreed upon specifications of both our internal and external customers.
- Ensure that all requirements of SQF Code 2000 are being administered and adhered to.
- Implement and maintain quality systems that ensure procedures and processes are in place to provide products that meet manufacturing specifications and customer requirements; provide tools for educating team members on quality standards and specifications for packaging; standardize quality test procedures and interpretation of results throughout the division; create a foundation and mechanism for process monitoring and continuous improvement.
- Involve team members in continuously improving the quality of our products and services, and the efficiency of operations and staff activities throughout the business.
- Lead quality improvement activities within their respective organizations.
- Responsible for assuring that the products produced within each manufacturing facility are safe and comply with all applicable federal, state, and international laws, regulations, and guidelines.
- Responsible for compliance with and adherence to all established good manufacturing practices, food safety plans and all applicable regulations and guidelines.
- High energy, with exceptionally strong work ethic
- High trust, integrity above reproach and character that reflects company values
- Bachelor’s Degree, Engineering/Technical Degree desired
- A demonstrated ability to lead people and get results through others
- Supervisory skills, maturity, and sound judgment
- Ability to balance and achieve positive results in the areas of safety, quality, productivity, cost, and employee relations
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and a sense of empathy
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and work well under pressure
- Strong team player, able to think and act in ways fully supportive of other team members
- Knowledge of production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture of product
- Knowledge of business and management principles
- Demonstrated knowledge and high level of computer skill and familiarity
- Knowledge of Food Safety Requirements
- Ability to interpret and administer SQF Code 2000
- Other duties as required
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Evergreen Packaging is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, religion, creed, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.