Preservation & Maintenance Manager
- Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim AZ-67, North Rim, AZ
- Salaried/Hourly: Salaried
- FLSA Type: Exempt
- Employment Category: Regular
he Preservation & Maintenance Manager is responsible for managing the Maintenance Department and ensuring the proper operation and maintenance of property lodging, facilities, equipment, and vehicles. This is a Year Round position
- Responsible for the financial success of the department; Ensures the department complies with financial guidelines and meets or exceeds all financial and operational goals.
- Maintains budgets, expenses and maintenance logs; Orders supplies in accordance with prepared budget.
- Ensures a positive work environment centered on trust, open communication, and team work; Facilitates problem solving and collaboration throughout the department.
- Acts in a professional manner; leads by example.
- Identifies and works with management to resolve departmental problems and potential problems.
- Works extra shifts and hours throughout the department as required; Covers subordinate duties as needed.
- Implements National Park Service and company guidelines on preservation of historic structures and assets.
- Performs general, preventative, structural and routine maintenance tasks; Oversees upkeep, painting, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, pool maintenance, and carpentry repairs.
- Maintains HVAC and lighting systems as required.
- Carries out inspections of facilities to identify and resolve issues; Ensures the resolution of all maintenance work orders and maintenance related problems.
- Purchases and evaluates all low VOC content paints, stains, caulks, adhesives and solvents.
- Operates maintenance and other company vehicles on and off property.
- Monitors and evaluates hazardous chemicals and inventory.; Ensures any hazardous waste or bio-hazard waste is correctly disposed of.
- Oversees and completes all opening and closing procedures.
- Assists in all emergency planning and spill prevention efforts; Thoroughly knows all emergency systems, evacuation routes, protection plans and procedures.
- Proper use of all fire equipment on premises, as needed.
- Effectively communicates department and position-specific expectations to department team members.
- Ensures department team members are updated on any relevant news or needs of other departments.
- Communicates and collaborates with other departments and managers and attends staff meetings to provide departmental updates and communicate problems and potential problems.
- Provides and ensures all internal and external customers receive excellent customer service.
- Strives to achieve and maintain a customer service-oriented department mentality.
- Responds to customer complaints in a professional manner.
- Responsible for managing department team members, creating staff work schedules, and training department employees in department standards, security procedures, department operations, and safe work methods.
- Mentors and coaches staff members on developing and improving skills.
- Assists with the hiring process for vacant Maintenance Department positions; Evaluates applications/resumes, performs interviews, and provides feedback for job applicants.
- Enforces department standards, policies, and team member expectations; Performs progressive discipline, coaches, and retrains department employees as required.
- Completes detailed and timely performance evaluations.
- Follows and enforces company policies including uniform and grooming standards.
- Verifies payroll hours for department personal.
- Knows and enforces all company Programs and policies, including Environmental, Health, Compliance, and Safety Management Programs and policies; Assists with environmental instruction and design practices.
- Assists in other departments as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A valid Driver’s License is Required.
- Read, write, speak and understand basic English.
- Keep accurate accounts of all parts and equipment orders.
- Organized to complete daily tasks and plan projects for the future.
- Ability to read and translate blueprints, electrical diagrams and schedules.
- Knowledge of codes and specifications.
- Computer skills to include Microsoft, Windows, Excel, & Word.
- Ability to translate practical matter into technical instruction.
- Knowledge and understanding of electrical, plumbing, carpentry and HVAC.
- Familiar with mechanical and electrical systems, carpentry, construction, kitchen and restraint equipment, code compliance, preventative maintenance programs, procedures and documentation.
- Ability to troubleshoot equipment and diagnose needed repairs.
- Understand basic budget relationships (i.e. labor expense, cost breakdowns, purchasing).
- Knowledge and ability to learn and follow all company and property safety and environmental policies/procedures and rules/regulations (i.e. ISO, EMS, and HAZ. Com).
- Recordkeeping skills (reading, writing and accurate reporting) to prepare and maintain records, reports, purchase orders and work orders.
- Strong organization and interpersonal skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent supervisory and management skills.
- Be certified in CPR/First Aid or be able to obtain the certification within one year of hire.
- Ability to learn all company training materials.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM JOB DUTIES:
- Must be able to understand normal conversation and accurately communicate information.
- Ability to stand and walk on paved, unpaved, uneven and sometimes slippery surfaces for extended periods of time.
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders frequently.
- Ability to remain balanced; Stoop, squat, kneel, crouch, crawl, twist, turn, push, pull, grasp, and reach down, forward and overhead repetitively.
- Manual dexterity to use hand tools including screwdrivers, hammer, steel measuring tape, utility knife, cordless drill, level, pliers, wrenches and socket wrench set, shovels, step ladders, etc., and power-operated tools.
- Use electrical, plumbing, carpentry and HVAC repair tools (hand and/or power) and equipment.
- Must be able to use general cleaning supplies; Grasp, lift, push, pull and use cleaning equipment.
- Manual dexterity to grasp and handle paper, phones, etc.
- Visual acuity to recognize and complete repairs and maintenance.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds frequently and 70 pounds occasionally.
- Must be able to safely operate a motor vehicle.
- Must be able to operate a computer.
- Ability to remain seated for extended periods of time.
- The worker is subject to both inside and outside environmental conditions: Adverse conditions may include extreme heat and/or cold, wind, humidity and sometimes inclement weather.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIRED TO PERFORM JOB DUTIES:
- 2 years of technical education in a related field and 8 years of facilities maintenance, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, carpentry or related work experience, or equivalent combination of work experience and education required.
- Three years management and/or supervisory work experience required.
- Certification and/or degrees in plumbing, electrical, and HVAC preferred.
- Five years plumbing, electrical, carpentry, and/or construction work experience preferred.
- HVAC work experience preferred.
- Hospitality Industry maintenance work experience preferred.
- Prior training in safety and environmental policies highly preferred.
- Knowledge of National Park Service and historic structure preservation preferred.